Deciding if I should give this Hobby a go...

carshark

Originally Posted by CELACANTHr
sorry i didn't want to read this whole thread but here is the cheapest thing i can think of...
-FOWLER(Fish Only With Live Rock)
-Make most of ur rock ur self
-get sand from Home depot
-get a few pounds of live rock to seed ur homemade rock and sand
-build ur own stand
-use the lights that came with the tank( you would be able to keep gorgonians, sponges, and sun corals which will add alot of color to ur tank
hope this helped!

with just over a watt per gallon(80 watts-75 gal.FOWLR) i could keep sun coral? I know about gorgonians, and sponges but sun coral?? cooooooolllll

tennisace

90g brand new with overflow- $250
Getting a GOOD skimmer, that will alow me to upgrade later- $160
Built a nice stand- roughly $300 I guess, along with my dad cutting his finger off :scared:
Live rock- priceless (lol, jk, actually I made rock using that GARP website, and I just have to buy like 15lb of live rock to turn it into live rock too) $40 for like 80lb or something
Arogonite sand- $60
I made my own filter- $40 because I just had to buy acrylic glass and I used an old tank I had from a dead reptile I used to have.
only adds up to be around $700-$800 I think.
Then again, the tank is going to have most likely 2 eels (already have my zebra)- so that includes something like $200 for both the eels, then food and stuff.
So it did end up being like $1000, ya it is expensive

carshark

you really don't need any light for em. They do however need to be fed often.

with like cyclopeeze or something??? i have a big frozen bag of that, i wondered if i eyedropped that to them it would work...

celacanthr

i believe ive seen that phyto and zooplankton are 2 small for any coral to eat, but one way that i have heard of people feeding them is to take brine shrimp eggs and taking the coral out of the water and sprinkling some of the eggs on the polyps and then puttting the coral back in the water.

carshark

i believe ive seen that phyto and zooplankton are 2 small for any coral to eat, but one way that i have heard of people feeding them is to take brine shrimp eggs and taking the coral out of the water and sprinkling some of the eggs on the polyps and then puttting the coral back in the water.

interesting this cyclopeeze once wet gets about no bigger than a head on a pin.....not even that big, brine shrimp eggs are that much smaller eh?

celacanthr

oh im sorry i meant that the stuff you mean to feed would be too small for the sun coral to ingest. Happy to Help

oceanist

Originally Posted by hot883
Hey Oceanist, I paid $109 with shipping for my 260w PC's with fans from the famous auction site. Just gotta look!
hot that is a screaming deal !!

carshark

Originally Posted by Oceanist
why shouldnt you mix Crushed coral with LS , i did , im wondering what problems im going toi run into

first I need to clarify something here, when i said aragonite, i meant aragonite sand, i did not mean crushed coral.....i wrote it down, but it is aragonite sand not big chunks of coral....it is ok to mix the two....yes it would defeat the purpose if you used crushed coral, but i have aragonite sand here is a pic look at my granules.. obviously it is safe

S

sinner's girl

if you look, there is a list of abr. for swf around here. I think at the top of the main board.
carshark-I didn't mean to attack you, sorry about the confusion, just didn't want anyone to think they should mix cc and ls.
The crittters from the lr will move into base rock, thus making the base rock 'live' over time. That's why I say mix the two, rather than buying all lr. You can just add a little at a time. Over time, it'll add up to a lot. We started with a few pieces, now we have over 100# with no dent in our pocket.

d0ch0liday

my 2 cents.....i bought a 125 oceanic with stand and canopy....20 gallon sump with overflow box.....euro reef skimmer......all the plumping ....and a little giant pump for $290
and after that i bought 2 ballast and 4 40 watt 48" bulbs for $30 bucks.......just got to look
around
you do not even want to know how cheap i get my live rock and livestock...its retarded

murph

If I were doing it over again here is how it would break down for a 75g tank.
75g Tank $130
Two bags of HD play sand. 7.00
One bag agrosand. 25.00
Four power heads one for each Conner of tank 80.00
Inexpensive wally world shop lights 30 watt Lights of America daylight bulbs and fixtures. 60.00
Full test kit 25.00
LR here is what can break the budget. You can start with as little as 10 pounds and add a little each week to make the cost not so prohibitive. 80.00
Salt mix 5 gallon bucket to get started 45.00 depending on the brand.
100 gallons of RO/DI water probably around 50.00 if you get it from your LFS
That should get you set up and cycling total 502 depending on prices in your area.
In the next few week a protein skimmer at least 200.00 Total 702.
With a 1000 dollar budget that leaves 300 for more lr or other miscellaneous needs. Hopefully I didnt leave anything out.