Decision for NanoTank

joejubee

Here's my decision that I'm trying to make:
18 vs. 25 gallon tanks.
the 18 has a 48 watt PC
the 25 has a 110 watt PC
Both have CPR Bak Pak reef skimmer, and built-in sump area behind the tank where the skimmer goes.
The 25 has a bioball-style wet/dry in there too. (Are these bad for reef tanks?)
Any immediate reactions? Too much/little light? I am going to the nano tank because of my H2O spillage paranioa, and my desire for a more manageable tank...
Thanks!
Joe

krunk

i would by the 25. Bio ball filters are not bad. they do not raise the nitrates as everyone says they do, the will unless you dont clean them everyonce in awhile.
how too clean them is take 30% out a month, and rinse them in tank water (water you took out for a water change or something) rinse them so they are clean, and no left over food or anything is in them.

joejubee

What about the lighting?
I'm concerned that since it's almost 5 watts per gallon (110 watts and 25 gallins) I'll run into excessive algae problems...
Thanks!
Joe

krunk

5 wpg is not that much. if you do get algae, get some emarld or scarlet crabs. im going too have 620 watts over my 75 gallon, only thing im worried about is electricty bill and evaporation.

searcher

You can also replace the wet-dry filter medium with live rock and then you won't have to worry about the maintenance.

joejubee

Really?
Since the wet/dry won't be covered by the light, will that matter? What's the difference between having LR in the tank vs in the wet/dry? Don't they do the same thing?
Joe

searcher

You'd still put LR in your main tank. You'd just put more in the sump where your wet dry media is. It just increases your filtration. I put in pieces that I didn't like the look of.
You should do a search on the reef page about converting wet/dry to live rock. There's a lot of information on it.
Take a look at my post about half way down. (29 gallon pics). You'll see pictures of my sump with the LR in it.