Decreasing Nitrate

jamesp

What the most effective way to decrease Nitrate? I'm is way high and I need to lower it.
Thanks, James

jamesp

I did a 10G change this morning. Test was done about 5 hours after that.
I have about 20 hermits. 4 or 5 snails. 1 brittle and 1 chocolate.

cyn

If you want to keep the crushed coral/shell substrate, vaccum the devil out of it. The larger particle size traps debris and promotes high nitrate levels. Even with weekly vaccuming and light feeding, I was never able to get my trates to 0 untill I changed to a DSB. Now, even when I do overfeed, my trates remain 0.
HTH,
cyn

jamesp

Starting Saturday I'm converting to a 2” sand bed but was told to convert very slowly. My Nitrate level is at 80. Is this going to cause damage to the tank in the mean while?

nm reef

Based on the info in your post I would say temporarily water changes to lower nitrate levels and control the bio-load/feeding to prevent build up.....long term I would suggest a DSB...skimmer...and if possible a refugium with additional dsb/caulpera.......nitrates of 80 is getting in the danger zone.......I'd be very concerned about toxic shock.........

twoods71

There are several things that can be done.
You can add a protien skimmer if you dont already have one. If you do have one make sure it is working properly.
Regular water changes can do wonders to keep the nitrate population down.
Make sure you are using a clean water supply for top off and water changes. Many times tap water contains high levels of nitrate as well as other unwanted additives.
Dont over feed. As much as 90% of the food you feed can end up as nitrates. If you do find that food is making its way to the bottom of the tank make sure there are enough scavengers in the tank to clean it all up before it begins to decay.

wamp

PS.. make sure to use RO or some other form of purified water. Nitrates can be found in cith or well water.

jamesp

What does RO mean?
I'm on well water and I just tested it straight out facet and got zero's across the board.

angief

I had the same problem, my nitrates shot up to 110. I went to the fs and he said it was because of the live sand. So I carried out 2 major water changes (50%) and the levels started to drop. I then followed that with 2 or 3 25% water changes and now there is only a trace of nitrates and nitrites. So much to say my tank has now settled down and my live rock is really alive now. It's amazing... :D

kris walker

RO water is not as good as deionized water (DI). My RO water I get typically has a 0.2 ppm phosphate.
EDIT: as I understand it.
sam

flamehawk

Add a protein skimmer, go to a 4 inch DSB,. Crushed Coral is tough substrate to keep the nitrates down.

clownman

Surfin Sam, for the phosphate issue, check on the container you're using. Make sure it's food grade (EPA certified)
As to reduce Nitrate... just do all the above (Water Change with RO/DI water, DSB with calcium based substrate (ie. SOuthdown or Aragamax), Refugium full of Cualerpa and so on)....
R
CM

wamp

Sam,
Thats alot of phosphate coming from an Ro. I would check the membrane if I were you. Mine has never been that high but then again I have never checked the input.
Yes RO/DI is better than just RO. But DI units add about 50$ to the cost. I have a DI and on my RO and would recomend them to all.

jamesp

WOW! Thanks guys for all the input. I'm a newbie at this hobby, but love it!
I have been feeding the tank every other day with one cube of Ocean Nutrition products. I will now cut that back to every four days. Today I started my first section of switching over to live sand. In the process doing a small water change.
Thanks for all your help!
James