Deep Sea Fishing in Mexico

socalnano24

Anybody been lately? I'm heading out tonight for a few days and going about 100 miles south of San Diego. Hopefully will get some Albacore and Dorado.

dnraiders

i live in sd...
the fishing really really sucks... the barracuda come locally around march, but they are just showing up.
no dorados in mexican waters yet, and the tuna, the boats go one day or one and half days with 25 people and comeback with 10 to 15 fish total

mr.clownfish

i usually catch barracuda and sculpin when i go deep sea fishing with my pop. we go to LA Harbor sport fishing in San Pedro. its kinda expensive tho like the tickets and license costs around 70-80 for both of us together, but its so worth it!
they take us out about 30 mins to an hour sometimes a lil more. barracuda tastes AMAZING when freshly caught.
but sometimes we dont catch anything at all.

socalnano24

Update:
2 day trip, we went 150 miles into Mexican waters. With 18 people on board we caught a total of 14 fish. :(
I only caught one Bonita this year, it was on a trolling rod so it didn't even feel like it counted. Probably a 14 lb one.
I usually get about 4-12 (comprised of albacore, dorado or yellowtail).
Never had bonita, I'm going to try and beer batter it for fish tacos, anybody have any good recipes?

spanko

I always use this one.
1 cup baking mix (like Bisquick)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 egg, beaten
1/2 cup beer

moondog

Next time you go out, pay the money to go down to Cabo San Lucas, it has been years since I have been down there, but in 5 hours out of an 8 hour trip for $180 U.S., me and my dad caught 10 75lb plus bluefin Tuna, & an 82 Lb Dorado in the middle of the summer. The next day, same captain, 15+ Rooster Fish right on-shore.
There is a fishing village south of the Cabo, I beleive it is called Los Cabos.

cranberry

Did ya try it! I've never had it. What texture is it? What colour flesh? Is it strong or mild.
What is tastes like will kindda syas what recipes will be good.
My hubby makes the BEST teriyaki sauce for BBQ ahi and shark. It would do well on a strong flavour... would overpower a super mild one.

socalnano24

yah, I was in cabo two weekends ago, but the only thing people were catching was bonita. All the dorado and Albacore had already moved north. Then go figure, when I was north the fish hadn't made it up far enough yet. I guess I just had bad timing this year

socalnano24

haha, no I have bbq plans with my gf and some friends tomorrow afternoon. I'll prolly grill up some of the fillets with bernsteins italian, and then try some with the beer batter recipe. ( in case I fail at the beer batters, its not a complete loss!). The meat is a medium-dark red (similar in color to blue fin tuna). The texture raw is fairly similar to any other tuna. (I have 2 14" fillets that have the skin on them), I'm gonna cook it with the skin on for the bbq.

socalnano24

So I didn't end up beer battering it. I'm going to save that for practice when I don't have an audience
I just ended up grilling it on the bbq. Used Olive oil; pressed garlic, salt pepper, and some fresh banana peppers and chillies and a strip of sage from the yard. It turned out amazing with some guac and flour tortillas.

socalnano24

ahh too bad, there was even a lil leftovers; gonna make me a tuna sandwhich for work tomorrow. :) I guess I'll keep you guys posted on my next cook out.