Deep Sea Yellow Gorgonian

fgcu14

Deep Sea Yellow Gorgonian,
Can anyone give me any more information about this invert? Anyone have any experiance with it? Lighting?

farnorth

Is it the yellow Diodogorgia? I got mine a few weeks ago and put it in low light with heavy flow (a power head not directed directly, but nearby it) and it is very happy. It is fragile and some crabs broke off some branches climbing on mine. I found this article very helpful and follow the same feeding recomendations. http://www.garf.org/GORG03/WINTERGORG.htmlIf it is not this type of gorgonian, then ???
Diodogorgia - Yellow Finger gorgonian

This is one of two easy to grow predatory Gorgonians. This coral needs to be fed at least twice each week, but it has such large polyps that feeding them is not difficult. We use a simple to make food for all of our new research on predatory corals.
INGREDIENTS:
Flake fish food - 1 tablespoon
SeaChem Reef Plus - 4 tablespoons
Fresh water - 1/4 cup
Soak the flake food in the Reef Plus for one hour and then add the fresh water. Puree the mixture in a blender for several minutes.
After you allow the mixture to set for several minutes you can pour the smallest particles off with the water. The larger particles will settle to the bottom of the glass and they can be used to feed the Gorgonians.
Classification

Gorgonians belong to the class Anthozoa, and the subclass Octocorallia (so named because they have eight pinnate tentacles).
Anatomy[/b]
Gorgonians are most notable for their rigid, or semi-rigid skeletons. Though classified as soft corals, gorgonians often rely on skeletons made silicate or some other material for support. These skeletons allow the coral to maintain their upright shape underwater, even in strong current.
In the wild, gorgonians always face the current. This probably allows them to better feed on plankton and other particulate matter. In the aquarium, it is best to recreate this by standing them upright, placing them in relatively strong current and feeding them plankton substitutions, such as brine shrimp.

farnorth

your welcome. Yeah I was looking and looking for info for mine, so figured I would pass it on. Just fed mine and all of the polyps are WIDE OPEN :cheer: