deepwater dragon blenny

ok is saw this fish the deepwater dragon blenny on another sight. it looks really cool. does anyone have any info on this fish. thanks

aquaknight

Which one did he look like? #1, #2, #3, #4,?
EDIT: well crap, read your first post again. Guessing, it's the last one. The only one I couldn't find anything on....

fishygurl

if this is the scientific name i found this info on the net...
Cryptotrema corallinum Gilbert, 1890
Family: Labrisomidae (Labrisomids)
Search Google Image
Point map |
Order: Perciformes (perch-likes)
Class: Actinopterygii (ray-finned fishes)
FishBase name:Deepwater blenny
Max. size: 13.0 cm TL (male/unsexed; Ref. 2850)
Environment: demersal; marine; depth range 24 – 91 m
Climate:subtropical
Importance: price category: not marketed/unknown
Resilience:
Vulnerability: Low vulnerability (10.00). (Ref. 59153)
Distribution:
Gazetteer Eastern Pacific: Santa Cruz Island in southern California, USA to Baja California, Mexico.
Biology: Inhabits rocky bottom.
Red List Status:Not Evaluated (Ref. 57073)
Dangerous: harmless

o yeah do you guys think that this would be a good fit for a reeftank with metal halides? my initial response was no because this is a deepwater fish so light plus heat may get po'ed and stressed. but lets here what you guys have to say.

aquaknight

Wait, hold on a sec..... The info Fishygurl posted is the latin name of the first blenny I posted.
Is that the one you saw cuddle? Or is it the last pic I posted (from Atlantis)? I couldn't find anything to confirm info on that particular one. However, I did find several unphotographed blenny's whose depth range went down to over 1200 meters, with really, really temperate water. These really should be left to coldwater tanks. A typically reef tank running 79°F-83°F, is way too warm for longterm survival.

aquaknight

That's what I figured. Cryptotrema corallinum is the first one I posted, looks mostly like a regular blenny.
The Atlantis one, looks so specialized to deepwater life, I would have big reservations about considering one.

aquaknight

Alright cuddles, I appreciate the challenge, but I was able to find the "Deepwater Dragon" today. Check the pics out.Some basic info:
Acanthocepola krusensternii

Family: Cepolidae (Bandfishes) Order: Perciformes (perch-likes) Class: Actinopterygii (ray-finned fishes) FishBase name: Red-spotted bandfish
Max. size: 40.0 cm TL (male/unsexed; Ref. 559) Environment: demersal; marineClimate: tropical; 37°n - 10°n, 119°e - 141°eImportance: price category: not marketed/unknownResilience: Medium, minimum population doubling time 1.4 - 4.4 years (Preliminary K or Fecundity.)Vulnerability: Moderate vulnerability (41.42). (Ref. 59153)Distribution:
Western Pacific: southern Japan to the China Sea. Also reported from Indonesia and northwestern Australia (Ref. 5978).Morphology: Identified by the spaced series of pupil-sized red spots along upper sides (Ref. 48635).Biology: Inhabits the shallowest water, compared to other cepolids. Lives on muddy substrates, deep as well as in shallow protected estuaries (Ref. 48635). Caught by dredge, but not valued as food fish (Ref. 559, 637).Red List Status: Not Evaluated (Ref. 57073)Dangerous: harmless

So the Red-Spotted Bandfish gets 40cm (15.75 inches
) and builds vertical
burrows in the sand. So, unless you plain on having a 20" DSB, down the road sometime, I would suggest against this fish.

aquaknight

And if you have some free time, play around on google and look up different bandfish. Some of them are very interesting fish...

whoa cool thanks for all the pics and info. it looks like it is not an option because 40cm is going to be to big for my 20 long tank so it would be as long as the tank and it would need to burrow into sand at least 8 inches taller than my tank.
btw that bandfish is way cool