deer hunters what slug?

kogle

For those of you that deer hunt with a shotgun what is your favorite slug and why?
I'll start, mine is the Remington Copper Solid.

shogun323

Oh yeah... sometimes when I dont use my tomahawk I ust drop out of the tree in front of the deer like a suprise attack and roundhouse kick em to death!!!!

mimzy

ok, I spoke to the Hubbs and he said it depends entirely on the distance that you're shooting and whether or not you are using a shotgun with a rifled barrel or not.
for longer distances & rifled barrels he suggests any of the sabot slugs from the big manufacturers like winchester or remmington, he thinks the copper ones are marketing gimmicks and regular gilded hollowpoints are just fine.
for shorter ranges he prefers regular old 1oz 12g soft lead slugs.
he also wants me to reiterate that this is just for your common North American White-Tailed Deer. Anything bigger or more substantial and it'd be a whole different discussion.
His all-time FAVORITE slug in GENERAL however, since you mentioned favorites, is the Dixie Terminator. He says it'll kill aaaaaaanything you need to drop. Rhinos and Zombies included.

sharkbait9

Originally Posted by Mimzy
http:///forum/post/2839560
His all-time FAVORITE slug in GENERAL however, since you mentioned favorites, is the Dixie Terminator. He says it'll kill aaaaaaanything you need to drop. Rhinos and Zombies included.

lol
I like sabot slugs

mboswell1982

i honestly prefer to hunt with a rifle over a shotgun, but when hunting with a shotgun, i prefer to use my browning a-5 heavy 12 loaded up with double aught buckshot, u may not beleive it, but i have knocked deer down at 105 steps with that shotgun loaded up with buckshot. for my rifle, i love my 7mm-.08 loaded up with 140 grain silvertip ballistics from winchester

sharkbait9

Originally Posted by mboswell1982
http:///forum/post/2840620
i honestly prefer to hunt with a rifle over a shotgun, but when hunting with a shotgun, i prefer to use my browning a-5 heavy 12 loaded up with double aught buckshot, u may not beleive it, but i have knocked deer down at 105 steps with that shotgun loaded up with buckshot. for my rifle, i love my 7mm-.08 loaded up with 140 grain silvertip ballistics from winchester
nice

mboswell1982

hey, what can i say, i like long range shots, and if im huntin over a corn field, ive got a very nice winchester pre '64 model 70 in .308 thats been set up just right
including a very very nice 3x9x55 redfield ultimate illuminator scope hehe