*~Demartini/Other Biocube owners... help/advice needed~*

xokarmaxo

I currently have a 14 gallon Biocube that has been up and running for 2 months, after everything from my 3 month old tank was transferred over. Because of a red bubble algae outbreak of "epic proportions" (according to Bob Fenner), I decided that the best thing for me to do is to start all over again, and instead of breaking down the current tank that I have and start over with that one, I have decided to change to the 29 gallon Biocube. With this, I will have to cycle all over again because I will not only have this new tank, but will have to have new rock, sand, water, etc... With my 14 gallon, I used everything stock.... filter cartridge, bioballs, sponge, etc... With my new tank, I want to try it with the modifications/recommendations that others have made on here with their Biocubes. According to what I have read on here, it is suggested that I:
1) Get rid of the bioballs and replace with LR rubble.
Reason for this is because it may cause spikes in nitrates and is harder to clean them?

2) Remove the stock filter cartridge and use that 1st chamber (far right when facing the cube) to place the heater.

3) Buy filter floss and cut into thin strips and place a strip on top of the drip tray, changing it out every 3-4 days.

4) Take the sponge (believe it's blue?) out of the 3rd chamber and run a bag of carbon in there for 1-2 weeks out of each month.

Is there anything else?

BTW, I have kept a bag of purigen in my tank for the last month or so... do I continue to keep it in my tank once I move to the 29 gallon?
In my 14 gallon, I have always thought that the flow seemed a little weak and I was not getting enough surface aggitation and flow, so should I get another powerhead for the 29 gallon?
Any help/advice/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

demartini

Sounds good to me. One thing that I recommend doing is to widen the spill over from chamber 1 to chamber 2, especially if your going to upgrade your pump.

xokarmaxo

Originally Posted by DeMartini
Sounds good to me. One thing that I recommend doing is to widen the spill over from chamber 1 to chamber 2, especially if your going to upgrade your pump.
How do I widen the spill over?

perfectdark

I cannot atest to all the mods you asked about. What I can tell you is that my BioCube 29 has been set up for 2 months and for the exception of taking the carbon filter out and using the filter floss on top of the bio balls and a carbon bag on top of that. Everything is perfect no issues no hang ups stock pump, but I did buy another power head to keep the current moving. I wanted to have more flow throughout the tank not a stronger concentrated one. This so far is one of the eaisest tanks I have ever owned, although this is my first SW tank I have nurmerous FW ones. Good luck.

xokarmaxo

Originally Posted by PerfectDark
but I did buy another power head to keep the current moving. I wanted to have more flow throughout the tank not a stronger concentrated one.
Thanks for your input.

What kind of powerhead did you buy and where did you put it?

perfectdark

I purchased the RIO 800, and I used the variable flow nozzel they give you. I tuned it down so its not blowing so hard. Heres a pic. upper right hand corner toward the front of the tank blowing back toward the filter area.

xokarmaxo

Originally Posted by PerfectDark
Heres a pic. upper right hand corner toward the front of the tank blowing back toward the filter area.
Where's the pic? :notsure:

ETA: Nevermind... I checked out your other thread and saw what you're talking about.

Also.... love your tank set up and your percs!

perfectdark

OOPS LOL Sorry bout that. TY for props on my tank, post pics of yours when you get them we all like to see them.
Glad you found it, hope that helps.