Democrat or Republican?

ophiura

:thinking:
Forgive me, I honestly don't know if I have ever mentioned this.
I LIKE PIE
:jumping: :cheer:

I would ask people to discuss and exchange ideas, whatever, but please refrain from flaming insults on people's religion, politics whatever. There is no need for blanket
flaming of certain religions (gee, bashing Catholics, how novel :rolleyes: ). I expect that people who take part in these discussions can withstand reasonable and informed debate...if you have to revert to making insulting or discriminatory comments, then you should stay out. Take your opinions to a religion board, or use it in a dissertation. :) People have a right to their beliefs...you don't have a right to be right :yes: that doesn't get very far.

darth tang

(look at the crusades)
First off, I am not Catholic. But in Cathlicisms defense from what I have read and studied all of the crusades were in reaction to colonies and settlements being attacked unprovoked. The crusades weren't designed to be a violent spreading of the word of god. They were the violent defense of fellow catholics and church interests in the name of God.
I feel the Church of Catholicism receives a bad rap for this time in history. Sure, there were attrocities done by individuals in the name of God during this time...but remember not everyone involved in the Crusades was a Catholic, muchless a believer in God.

farmboy

Wow!
I'm surprised this thread does't have one of those little lock things at the bottom.
Hey Tang,
I struggle with some of the passages in the Bible. Did God really mean THAT?!?
Try Job sometime. He got an education . . . .
BTW I helped make KY a RED state. :)

jer4916

i wasn't bashing catholics in the least, but they are different from bible believing christians. im not going to go into it because i dont feel like typing, if you want to read about it a great book is " the trail of blood " also study nero, and other rulers of the past who started the catholic religion, i know where and why catholics are they way they are i was catholic untill i was taught greek and hebrew i saw the HUGE differences in the teachings of the catholic church and what the bible actully teachs, mosts catholics who go that far in depth do join another branch of " christianity " as some on here would say.

jer4916

also...what ..crusades did you study?...obviously from a secular point of view...whole crusades for the most part were based on catholics, distroying ana-baptists

molamola

Strange, I'm more of a Bible believing Christian now that I'm Catholic, than I was when I was non-denominational.

jer4916

do you believe salvation is by works, or grace? ...do you pray to saints? do you talk to your preist who wont get married to a woman for advice? do you ask your preist to forgive your sins? do you pray to mary?..do you have idols of angels and images of christ and mary in your churchs? ... most catholics do all of thee above, and all are violations of the bible...and thats the tip

A

andretti

You what they say boys and girls...don't talk about politics or religion. and Mr BMW lover you have a do have a SERIOUS ego problem. Read your own written words. The thread was started to ask about Democrat V. republican and you start tooting your own horn about being a "childhood genius," working on your second doctrate, making between $50-$75,000 Are you sure your just a student of the good book and not Christ himself?

jer4916

1. i never stated how much i make a year. 2. only reason i even mentioned i have a doctorate is because i was joking and said i should run for president, and someone said i wasn't old enough or smart enough. only reason. funny thing people like me have an "ego" the second we did something better then you. i think its the other way around, i didn't mean for it to come off as ego, nor did it even have any point to anything. You mearly picked to take it that way.

molamola

Originally Posted by Jer4916
do you believe salvation is by works, or grace? ...do you pray to saints? do you talk to your preist who wont get married to a woman for advice? do you ask your preist to forgive your sins? do you pray to mary?..do you have idols of angels and images of christ and mary in your churchs? ... most catholics do all of thee above, and all are violations of the bible...and thats the tip
Actually none of the above. My prayers go straight to God and nobody else. I don't worship Saints. Asking for intercession is not worshiping a Saint, it is asking for prayers. It is no different than asking your friends to pray for you. All of the recitations end with, "Pray for us," the Hail Mary ends with, "Pray for us sinners now and at the hour of our death." This is not worship, it is a request. I don't know a single Catholic that worships Saints, or places all of their faith in them. I've never met a Priest that told me to do so.
I don't ask a Priest to forgive me for my sins either. You ask for a blessing, not forgiveness. Confession to me, is a way to seek support for the burden of sin. The Priest is there to listen, encourage, assist, and guide.
I appreciate the sacrafice that Priests make in order to lead a parish. That Priest understands that God, his Church, and his Parishoners come before everything else. I don't know how our Priest could have time to administer communion to the sick, perform weddings, funerals, Mass 3 times a day, lead Bible study, run the Church Administration, and still manage to have a functional family. The Church is his family and I very much admire that devotion.
Having a statue of Christ is not, in my opinion, idolotry. We don't kneal down and sing songs of praise to a statue. A crucifix is a reminder of Christ's sacrafice for us, not an idol. Having a statue of Mary in a Church is a sign of gratitude for the gift she gave us. I see nothing wrong with that. Nobody is calling her God.
I really don't want to start an argument on this subject, but please know that many many Catholics believe in the same God you do, believe that Christ died for their sins, read the same exact scriptures word for word, and will be your next door neighbor in Heaven someday. :yes:

nikolai

Jer needs to know that 99% of people on this Earth do believe in God, it's just that their religions are different. To say that 5/6ths of the world is going to hell is not right.

jer4916

Originally Posted by nikolai
Jer needs to know that 99% of people on this Earth do believe in God, it's just that their religions are different. To say that 5/6ths of the world is going to hell is not right.

Bible also says that the path is narrow, and few will find it, it also states its the road less taken. yes the world as a whole is worldly hence why christians say " i live in this world, im not of it " yes the majority of the world will go to hell, that is why it is christians job to spread gods word to reach as many people as possible, when and if they refuse god, as most of the world does is when they send themselves to hell.
God doesn't send anyone to hell, people send themselves

darth tang

also...what ..crusades did you study?...obviously from a secular point of view...whole crusades for the most part were based on catholics, distroying ana-baptists
Actually the second and third crusades were in respons to the attacks by Islamic Muslims on Jews and Christians in the European colonies in the middle east and Africa. What does secular have to do with what I have read? :notsure: :confused: I study religions and their history in my spare time...I like to read and learn new things all the time. This way when I come across pompous people I place them in their place. The book I am using for refernce now is a book about the beginning history of the Islamic religion. Not the Koran but a book written about how it came about and the histories behind it. Where it took certain laws from and how they came about. It is also about Islam's founder, and incidentally the founder of Islam was the reason for the second and third crusade as he felt "All Jews and those not of the Islam faith were to be put to death or made into slaves to help further the cause of Islam.".
So he started attacking Jewish, Christian, and Catholic settlements in the name of ALLAH sparking what we know as the second and third crusades.
Now I am not saying the Islamic religion is violent. The Moderate Islamic religion is a peaceful religion...it is the Old school Islamic religious teaching I am referring to. I hope I don't offend anyone with this. That is not my intent. My intent was to prove the the Crusades weren't a violent Cathlic spreading of the word of God. But Jer isn't going to believe what I say anyway as this individual is completely right about everything he states. Everyone else is wrong and there is no possible way he could be incorrect. :rolleyes:

ophiura

Yup, it is clear that there will be little resolution here, only more insults and, frankly, discrimination. everyone is entitled to their beliefs. If you think they are wrong, write it in your dissertation and pray for them, but don't bring it to these boards. You have a right to believe what you want, you don't have a right to tell people they are going to hell for not agreeing with you. Indeed, it sounds rather like a "crusade" to me. Be careful of casting too many stones, my friend, you are not that far off from the errors of the past in the Catholic church.
This sort of thing is not welcome on these boards.
Anyway, I'm off to go worship the glow in the dark statue of St. Christopher glued to my dashboard. Need a good parking spot downtown. :yes: May have to break out an offering of blackberry pie. Have a great weekend!