depressed puffer

von_rahvin

I have a little tiny porc (not much bigger that 2 inches) and he is very depressed. he shows some interest in me whenever i walk up to the tank . he eats fine . but whenever i am not directly interacting with the tank he just sits on a rock. anyy suggestions? he is in a 55 gal, (i am upgrading to a 190, and i need him to be bigger before i can put him in that tank) so the tank is a bit small, but he is only 2 inches across. his only tank mate is a little chainlink eel. they seem to get along fine, ive never seen any agression non either of their parts.
any thoughts?

M

mr.bubble

THIS IS PEFECTLY FINE! In my puffer tank they do that all the time. there just lazy. mine goes under a rock and just lies there. then when i come in the room his fins start moving and he starts swimmimgs around. my new reef tank is doing great! my puffer tank have 4 small puffers that lie on rocks all day. SOUNDS VERY BORING TO STAY ON A ROCK ALL DAY! :D

guppie

How long have you had him? if not to long then he could be missing one of his friends from the store you got him from. I had a dogface and porky in the same tank since they were very young, well I lost the porky and the dogface went into a depression for a couple of weeks, he would do the same thing you mentioned. He is now fine, I thought of getting him another puffer but I have had him for over 2 years and i was afraid of the fighting. Hope this helps Good Luck

L

lions den

How often do you feed him? Puffers will eat and eat until you quit feeding them and if he is eating too much he might just be getting to fat and lazy. Try feeding him once every 2 or 3 days and I'd almost guarantee he'll be a lot more active. Just an idea

M

mr.bubble

Do you think my puffers are being over fed? i feed them 1 cube of brine a day. What do you think. :D

henry

I'm sure your puffer is fine. Mine buzzes around the tank when I'm around but if I'm gone for a while I'll catch him just hanging out. A couple of times he had me worried too, just the other day I thought he was dead but sure enough as soon as he saw me he came swimming over. Phew!
Still...best to keep an eye on him to be sure.
p.s. I'm glad you liked the grass shrimp story, it makes me chuckle every day!

von_rahvin

yeah i guess i go get him a little puffer buddy. my chick loves puffer fish. I guess she will not mind ot have a few more around the house. It was supposed to be a "puffer tank" but sinc ei am getting rid of th 55 i did not want to add to much to it.