Derasa clam ,,,,,,where should i place it..

lluv24

ok well i got a new clam about a week ago. the owner told me to put the derasa clam on the bottom on a flat peice of rock. so i did but the clam still has not pu his foot on the rock yet. so should a derasa clam be directly on the bottom in the sand or on a rock.

florida joe

culled info
* Place the clam so that the mantle is facing upward towards the light to maximize exposure to light. The mantle must be in full illumination in order to provide the calm with nutrients.
* If a more powerful lighting system, like metal halides, are used on an aquarium 24 inches or less, these clams can be placed just about anywhere in the aquarium, as long as they are not blocked from the light.
* If at any time the clam moves and is lying on its side, right the clam back to the upright position. Do this immediately or the clam will slowly starve to death.
* Do not place the clam in a crevice where it may have difficulty fully opening its shell. Make sure the location is sturdy and offers enough room for the clam to grow.
* Do not place the clam in an area that has strong, direct water movement.

S

saxman

T. derasa should be placed on the substrate, period. these clams are substrate-dwellers and as such, rely on their sheer size and weight to keep them in place. they do not typically generate byssal threads, so the rock beneath them is unnecessary.
additionally, they have a much lower light requirement than T. maxima or T. crocea
, and can actually be light-shocked if given too much lighting without being acclimated to it.

S

saxman

Originally Posted by florida joe
http:///forum/post/3232637
please don't tell me she is making you wear the tail also
that's a pic of my 18 year old son (obviously a few years ago)...he refused to wear the little fuzzy tail.