Derasa question??

tlsohio

I purchased a very nice 4-5" Derasa clam about two weeks ago and when I purchased it, it's mantal extension was amazing. Now the mantal extension is not as nice. It was kept under PC's and a more shallow tank, (maybe a 55g). I have it on the sand bed in my 120 under 12 - 48" - T5VHO's. I am concerned it is not happy. Should I be concerned? I will include a picture of the tank so that you can see how all the other inhabitants are doing, but no other clams. This is a 3 year old tank. All water perameters are good. Temp 77.8', No Amonia, Nirtites or Nitrates, PH 8.5, Calc. 400, Alk 9.

meowzer

Croceas are rock boring clams.....needs to be on rock, and probably should be higher up anyway

S

smartorl

It looks like a Dersa to me. What's your salinity. Clams react to salinity issues pretty quickly I have noticed.

meowzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTLDreef http:///forum/thread/381684/crocea-question#post_3325959
okay, taking a closer look at the picture, are you sure that this is a crocea and not a derasa?
YEAH....I agree with that too....LOL....It looks more like my derasa then my crocea...I was trying to look in my book to be sure, but since I really don't have enough experience determining types....I did not comment

tlsohio

Yes you are right, it is a Derasa, I mis-spoke. So what recommendations for a Derasa do you have? I only put it on the sand bed because it seemed very happy on the sand bed at the LFS. But I have not checked it's likes and dislikes. I will do that as well. Salinity is 1.023 which is where the LFS also keeps their salinity level, I checked.

btldreef

As mentioned above, what is the salinity of this tank?
Also, your pH is a little on the high side.

tlsohio

Again Salinity is 1.023. I battle keeping my PH down, which from what I have read different places seems to be the opposite of usual. I have attributed my well water to this problem.

pauloesco

You think it's your well water?
Soinds like you definitely have hard alkali water (or you have a cement block curing in your tank.)
How do you pull the Ph down?
Another thought might just be that the clam is getting too much light and getting acclimated. 12x t5's is probably c lose to 500wMHs in intensity. Do you have access to a PAR meter? I'd love to know your readings.
One trick for rock clams is to make a plaster of Paris "cast footprint " for it. (Ie make an impression of its bottom in semiset plaster, let dry, then sit the clam in its impression in the tank. This also helps protect it from bristleworms too. )

tlsohio

I think my clam is a bit happier, or at least it looks like it is. I've placed it in three different locations now and am hoping that it is in it's permanent site. However, I've been looking for information, with no results, on the act of the clam quickly opening and closing and moving the sand around it. Is this an act of trying to move to a different location or do clams just do this. Does anyone else have any opinions on the plaster of paris, cast footprint? I thought maybe I would do this to keep it from spraying sand on it's other sand bed living neighbors. Any thoughts?

btldreef

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlsohio http:///forum/thread/381684/derasa-question#post_3328809
I think my clam is a bit happier, or at least it looks like it is. I've placed it in three different locations now and am hoping that it is in it's permanent site. However, I've been looking for information, with no results, on the act of the clam quickly opening and closing and moving the sand around it. Is this an act of trying to move to a different location or do clams just do this. Does anyone else have any opinions on the plaster of paris, cast footprint? I thought maybe I would do this to keep it from spraying sand on it's other sand bed living neighbors. Any thoughts?
Moving it around all the time can be more harmful than just leaving it be. Clams are like anemones, they do not like to be moved, they will find a happy place on their own and the more you mess with them, the angrier they get.
What do you mean about it moving sand around exactly?
I would not glue it to anything with how unhappy it has been lately. I have glued clams, but I don't suggest it, especially right now. We haven't even definitively decided what species of clam you have.

geoj

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlsohio http:///forum/thread/381684/derasa-question#post_3328809
Well when I try to get comfortable before I take a nap, I scooch down in to my LaZBoy