detrivore kits

diddley

anyone ever purchased and used one of these? for those not in the know, it contains baby brittles, bristleworms, amphipods, copepods, mysid shrimp, gammarus shrimp and other tiny creatures to consume detritus. it will be going in a newly cycled 55 with a 2 to 3 inch sand bed and 75 lbs. of live rock. the only inhabitants are various hermits and snails. all info. appreciated.

nm reef

I am well aware of the "packages" but I have never purchased them. There are a couple of excellant sources for them and most info I've seen indicates they are both highly regarded. I've never used one but I am considering adding a couple(one from each reputable source) to my newly set up 55 gal refugium. I have had success introducing thriving populations of mini brittles...copepods...amphipods...worms...and what I believe are mysis shrimp via more conventional means. Quality LR and several different additions of gunk/crud from the bottom of tanks used to cure large amounts of LR...those sources have provided much of the same diversity at a much cheaper price. But...I am seriously considering a few "packages" to suppliment and boost the life in my refugium and sand beds.:thinking:

druluv

I feel that a good quality detrivore kit can work wonders in a fuge systems. A Detrivore kit provides all kinds of small creatures that help aerate the fuge sandbed, eat the wastes that fall from the main display, some of the creatures can even soak some of the dissolve wastes from the water.
Here is a list that I have in my fuge:
fuge creatures: (These Creatures Keep the fuge clean from algae, and detritus)
I add photoPlankton to help with the critters offspring.

Fuana
Sand bed clams
Bristle Worms
MicroHermits
Nerite Grazers
trocus grazers
turbo grazers
Strombus Grazers
Nassarius Snails
Bubble Bee Snails
Amphipods
spaghetti Worms
mini Reef Brittle Stars
Flora:
Grape Caulerpa
Feather Caulerpa
Shaving Brush
Gold Tang Heaven
Ulva Blade

druluv

Kip
I think the guy in Hawaii has a special for 9 items for 99 and shipping is free. He also very nice, he always add a little bit of extra stuff everytime. He also sells little cleaner clams that is suppose to soak some of the dissolved organic in the water. He also sells little mini-brittle stars and coralline pegs to help seed the fuge sand-bed. In addition, I just checked the site, and he is now selling mysis shrimp.
I feel that this a must if you want to add a rich bio-deversity to your fuge!:D

hondo

I've ordered detrivore kits before but not from the vendor in HI. Overall I was pleased with what I have gotten and now have lot's of diverse life in my fuge and display tank. you can get the same items from good quality LR but it doesn't hurt to jumpstart the process with a detrivore kit. $99 + Frieght from HI sounds a bit pricey to me, I would do a search and find a different vendor.

nm reef

Careful....some of this is fast approaching violations of well established forum policy. Discussion of the merits of kits is one thing but lets avoid reference to a specific source.:rolleyes:

H

hlp

we are looking in to purchasing one ourselves. What type of life can you recommend that we look for? I don't know if we will get a kit or buy individually. i would hate to buy a kit and have a bio overload. We have a 75 gallon and are switching from CC to DSB next weekend. The sand is curing right now.

druluv

Originally posted by HLP
we are looking in to purchasing one ourselves. What type of life can you recommend that we look for? I don't know if we will get a kit or buy individually. i would hate to buy a kit and have a bio overload. We have a 75 gallon and are switching from CC to DSB next weekend. The sand is curing right now.

My first post has a good sample of what you can put in your fuge.

diddley

they can go in the main tank, but there are guidelines to follow. i think the suggestions i've seen are to feed the tank heavily before adding and then add the animals in complete darkness and leave lights off until the next day. what kind of creatures are you thinking of adding?

I

iluvfish

My shipment from this place is to arrive tomorrow. I do not have a fuge and am wondering if you think it will be okay to add to my main display? Will everything live in the main display?