Devastating impact

nacl freak

Headline in todays paper "Venomous red lionfish prowling Caribbean" .

These are non-native species ,thought to have been released from aquariums in Florida, that are rapidly mutipling. According to article these lionfish are eating the native fish at an alarming rate. Research teams have observed one lionfish eat 20 fish in less than 30 min. So far they are concentrated in the Bahamas. In every habitat: shallow and deep reefs, along beaches, and most worrisome in the mangroves, which are vital habitats for baby fish.
Just another cry for being a responsible aquariest.

nacl freak

Oh mon I read that after posting. See here it seems that its starting to affect the tourist trade. Swimmers, divers and snorklers are being stung. OUCH!

geridoc

It had to happen. Juveniles have been spotted off of Long Island in New York, so they have migrated, and are reproducing!

hlcroghan

I bet it was some do-gooder who thought they were helping their fish by releasing it back into it's home......on the other side of the world...lol

kingsmith

Actually I read an article on it that said they think they were introduced as a result of a home aquaruim breaking during a huricane
Check your supermarket fish counter Lionfish will be on sale.