Devastation!

buckets

Boy did I learn the hard way!! I woke up this morning and found all of my fish dead, angels, tangs, clowns, puffer, damsels, and more. The only things still living are my two anemones and some cleaner shrimp. I made the mistake, even after reading other threads advising me not to, of putting an australian sea apple in my tank. I can only assume that it must have died and poisoned my entire tank, I can't find any remnants of the sea apple at this time (possible under or around my lv).
My question (and believe me I will listen) is what exactly do I need to do now to get my tank back running to where I can again introduce fish into it? Do I totally need to empty the entire tank, live rock and live sand and start completely over? Or will just draining all of the water and putting new water in work? Please send me some advice, I have no idea what to do at this time.
I have a 180 gal tank, with live rock, and it appears that all of my corals are ok!
I never had any idea how much I loved my porcupine puffer and some of the the other fish who would eat out of my hand and let me pet their back. Even though I just lost LOTS of $$$$$$$ I can't see myself without my tank. Any and all advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks

marco333

IMO, the poison is probably in the tank so you probably need all new water, but im wondering y it didnt effect the corals.

leigh

Welcome to the club :rolleyes:
The good news is the poison of these things is fairly short lived. Be glad your corals look good, mine suffered for a few days from the ammonia spike that resulted from the death of my fish after my cucumber incident. (For the record the poison only affects fish, not inverts or corals--inverts and/or corals only are affected by the ammonia spike from the death of the fish) If I were you I would:
1) try to find any remnants possible
2) start running carbon (you should only need it for a day or two)
3) do a 20% water change today
4) do 10% water changes every day for a few days
5) give it a couple weeks (I waited 2 or 3) before you add any fish again.
This is what I did and have had good success since. I know it's a huge bummer, I am really sorry for your losses :(

leigh

Oh, also, you should really try to establish what caused the problem. In my case I know a hermit crab attacked the cuke. Often times, however, these things are caused because the animal was stressed due to poor water quality. After you get things settled down make sure you carefully moniter your water quality to ensure that you do not have some other problem which the death of the sea apple may have been an indicator of.

bang guy

I would flag down Ophiura and ask her opinion buy I believe holothurin is rather short lived. So short that fish can be introduced once water parameters are again stable. I would use GAC just as cheap insurance though.

overanalyzer

Originally posted by Bang Guy
I would use GAC just as cheap insurance though.

GAC???
Also - I'd run your carbon for a while (longer than a couple of days) after your first water change. Then remove it before doing subsequent water changes.
Having said that - welcome to the board and sorry for your losses!

leigh

Originally posted by overanalyzer
GAC???

don't know what the 'G' is but could the 'AC' be activated carbon? Err...'good activated carbon'...hmm

sammystingray

Their toxin, holothurin, is also a surface active agent I believe, so a skimmer will remove it. I was reading the other day where they are somehow using sea cuke toxin to treat human arthritis.:) Something in it has something to do with what's found in connective tissue and joints......anyways....sorry for the loss, and as stated, only very small inverts such as worms may possibly be effected.....atleast that's a plus amongst the devastation.:)

melissa v.

Da#$, i just had a flashback to that Tas## girl.
Welcome to the board, you are at the right place, i can't add anymore advice than what you have been given, GOOD LUCK, SORRY ABOUT YOUR FISH:(
Melissa V.