Devil's Hands

lili13

I just bought a devil's hand today. It looked fine on the sand with both the lights on, but when we turned the white light off, it looks like a wilted piece of lettuce...is this normal?? We moved it up closer to the lights, the moon lights are on now, but it still looks "wilted"...anyone know? We also did a water change and it had perked up when the lights were still on, but like I said, now it doesn't look too hot...

worrballer

Most corals "shrivel," or wilt, like that when the lights turn off.
Also since you just got them I wouldn't worry too much. Wait a few days and if they don't improve then I'd do something about it.

lili13

PHEW!!! Thanks for that, I was wondering, I was googling them like no tomorrow, but nowhere that I saw did it say about it doing that when it was bed time..lol And then they all said that they are so easy to care for and for the beginner, so I'd feel pretty stupid and terribly if anyhting happened to it..

worrballer

Just check your chemicals this week and if everything comes up okay then you'll be fine.
Can you post any pics?

lili13

ok, so we just got home from work like ten minutes ago, and only the right side wall and my devils hand has green algae on it??!!!! What do I do?

-tara33-

are you shore its algae, it might just be shedding, it is common for them to do it when they move tanks

lili13

The KH is at 14 drops, so 200-400 ppm...would that affect it? It usually sits at about 9-12 drops...lol
And all my other parameters are fine...

subielover

I see, not sure what to tell you. That is a green algae that is on my glass as well, but it gets scraped off with the magfloat but I don't have it on my rocks nor did I ever get it on my coral. Sorry I can't be more helpful. One think to address though is flow in the tank. I would add a Koralia nano or a Koralia 1 to the opposite side of the return pump. This will give you some nice flow in the tank, you could also replace the return pump in addition to the Koralia. Also how often are you feeding and what are you feeding?

lili13

We feed the corals once a week (so they got it yesterday) with Coralife. the fish we feed once a day like 5 small flakes of flake fish food. We are getting the Koralina this thursday (hopefully it comes in). I don't know whether I should try to lightly rub it off because I don't want to hurt it, y'know?

subielover

I would hold off on feeding every day, every other day is perfectly fine. That is how often I feed my ocellaris clown and sixline wrasse. Also, flake food is known to have a lot of phosphates, phosphates cause algae. A great and healthier alternative is feeding frozen mysis shrimp, cyclo-peeze, Rod's food or the best option, make your own. It is not hard to do at all. A variety is great to have, so mysis one day. Cyclo-peeze the next, and go back and forth. Only feed what can be eaten in under a minute and no food should hit the sand. I always turn the pumps off while I feed the tank, fwiw.

silverdak

Well the algae might be coming from the flake food... I did the same thing too. Nothing to worry about just dont feed flake lol check my thread I answered some of the devils hand stuff there. lol