Diagram layout of 240gallon... need a little assistance

snakeblitz33

Alright, I can't quite map this out in my head or on paper. Not exactly sure how I would want to do this either...
I have a 240 gallon display tank in the front room with a 30 gallon sump. I want to increase the sump size, but everything is already in place. I have a back room that I am able to drain the sumps water into. I was thinking, of having two sumps... one of them being remote with somewhat of a life support system.
I have six 30 gallon pre-drilled tanks and a stand that I can use for them. Using these 30 gallon tanks will add 180 gallons more of water volume to the system. The additional sump should be at least a 75 gallon rubbermaid or a 150 gallon horse trough. The only thing is, how can I push water to the remote sump and back again effectively enough so that the life support system in the back will work?
Three of those 30 gallon tanks will be refugiums, two of the bottom tanks will be filled with sand, and the extra 30 gallon tank will be a frag tank.
any help will be greatly appreciated.

snakeblitz33

I guess theoretically I could remove the pump from sump #1 and put a much much larger pump on sump #2. That way it can draw in water from sump #1, and I will only be using two pumps (one of them for closed loop) for the entire system.
So, for a 240 gallon display tank, and to run 6, 30gallon tanks (180) gallons, I should have a pump that pumps 4,200 gallons per hour at 0 foot of head. So, by my calculations, to get any sort of actual water flow because of being so long and drawn out, I guess I should have a pump rated for at least 5,500 gallons per hour, eh?
There is a squence Hammerhead that can do the job, 5,800 gallons per hour. Anyone have experience with this?
Anyone, anyone at all?

morval

is this in your house?? or do you work/own a fish store? how are all the 30's connected ? exazctly how far from 240 to the "back" room is it?

kjord97

I dont know why people add together the total water volume of a tank when they dont fill the entire tank. It may be a 30 gal, but you will only put like 15-20 gals in it. So adding 6 x 30 gal tanks will not add 180 gal of water volume, it may only add 90-120 gals. Some people need to realize this when it comes to adding chemicals and making sure you have the proper water size.
Just like when some say they have a 150 gal tank and want to know how much of a chemical to add. Looking at alot of bottles, it says usually 5 ml per 40 gals and etc.... So you have to remember to take into account the sand and rock that is displaceing the water in the tank. You may only have 120 gals of water in the tank.
This can all be crucial in the event of an overdose of chemicals on a tank.

snakeblitz33

By the way, yes, I know that it isn't exactly 30 gallons, when I filled one up, minus the sand in it, it was 29.8 gallons filled up. they are 35 gallon tanks, custom built and all with small overflows.
Oh, also, how can you compensate for the volume displaced by your rock and sand in your tank? Think about them apples.
The back wall is approximately 25ft, with an additional 6 or so feet of general working space for the 90* elbows.

kjord97

Originally Posted by SnakeBlitz33
http:///forum/post/2650610
Oh, also, how can you compensate for the volume displaced by your rock and sand in your tank? Think about them apples.
This place has a very nice calculator to give you a ball park on how much water volume you are displaceing. garf(dot)org Go under calculators and water volume. Enter in your data and then hit the buttom. Just remeber it is ball park and all rock has a different density.
Another way of doing this is when you are filling your tank. Fill 100 gal tank half way with a messured amount of water. Use this forumla. so say 50 gals of water. you add 100 lbs of rock and it causes the water level to raise 5 inches. this is your displacement. then it only takes 20 gals of water to finish topping off the tank. You will now see that the tank only have 70 gals of water and that your rock is taking up 30 gals of displacement.