Diamond Goby Gone?

ryancw01

Well, I cannot find my Diamond Goby anywhere. I have a canopy on the tank so there is no way he could have jumped out. I don't see him in the overflow. This sucks. I have had him now for about 8 months and I have not seen him for 2 days. He has been digging a lot lately. Think he could have gotten stuck under some rocks?

sepulatian

They can disappear under the sand, but will usually come out to eat. Are you sure that there aren't any openings? Mine jumped out of a very small opening by the filter.

t316

If the rocks were not completely stationary, yes he could have shifted something and trapped or crushed himself. Any of the rockwork look different?

flower

+1 to all of the above..a canopy does not mean they can't jump. I have a canopy, and have lost a Purple tilefish, a firefish and a damond Goby over the years. The firefish managed to slip right past an egg crate top...it went right between the squares.

socalnano24

I once found a diamond goby I had in my sump all the way at the bottom underneath chaeto and liverock... still alive

t316

Originally Posted by OceanKid
http:///forum/post/3243363
Does it mean that it's not eating for 2 days?
Not necesarily...If he's alive and just hiding under the rocks, he's probably still sifting sand and getting pods and other goodies down there. If he's trapped in an overflow, sump, or pipe, then he's limited to whatever leftovers might happen to float by.

aquaman

Early on I had a lion fish and got a small snow flake eel, the eel disappeared, and I thought the lion had an expensive meal. However after 9 month I had to get do debris out of my over flow, and found him, still very much alive. I have no idea what it had been eating, but it looked to be in good health. He went back into the tank and stayed there until I found him eating other fish and I traded him in.

t316

Originally Posted by Aquaman
http:///forum/post/3243512
Early on I had a lion fish and got a small snow flake eel, the eel disappeared, and I thought the lion had an expensive meal. However after 9 month I had to get do debris out of my over flow, and found him, still very much alive. I have no idea what it had been eating, but it looked to be in good health. He went back into the tank and stayed there until I found him eating other fish and I traded him in.
Wow...9 months. I have heard of a few stories like this, but that is rare.

aquaman

I was shocked when I found him, I had forgotten all about him. It took a while to get him out of the overflow, because I was afraid he would bite, but he didn't seem to mind at all. I would have kept him, but in that nine months I changed from an aggressive tank to a more pacifist tank, and he was eating the fish.

ryancw01

Well, still no sign of him. I have been using a mirror to look down the overflow section and still don't see him. Used the mirror to look in the back of the tank too behind the sump and he is not there either. Someone asked if the rocks have shifted at all and there is no sign of that. I put the rocks on the glass originally when I set up the tank before adding any sand for that reason. I remember a long time ago I had a flame wrasse that jumped into the overflow and I was able to see him immediately with the mirror. I still have a little hope that he still might turn up.

tacks

Have you checked the floor area outside the tank? I've gone through 4 of them and finally quit. They can get through any small opening, trust me on this. Since there is no sign of him, I'm led to believe he jumped and has dried out somewhere near your tank. Sorry to say and I hope that's not the case. Good luck.