diamond goby pic

well here is the fish that i have always wanted but never got, until now. i have had him for about two weeks and he is just what i expected and wanted. he is eating good and redecorating everything. i had to convince my wife to let me get it so here he is...........

rad

how is he about going over the whole sand bed and 'filtering' it? I really want a goby just like it. good find.

anonome

This has got to be the best fish for a saltwater tank!!! I love this guy. Mine is constantly working.
My tank is my pride and joy. Always had problems with the sand looking "dirty" eventhough everyone else thought it was just fine. Have plenty of nassarius snails, but they never really cleaned it. I put one in my tank and within a week the sand looks like the kind you see in the pacific. Totally clean, and fluffy. Good luck with him!!! Here is mine.

i paid 29.99 at the LFS, he does a terrific job keeping everything clean.........except the rocks. He love to kick sand up all the time. i had to put cotton batting in the filter to keep the water from looking cloudy. Not just any cotton batting what ever the LFS store had, its for tanks. i even have him fedding from a tube. he is my favorite fish.

i have a question, i know they can get about 6" long but i have seen how big lawnmower blennys can get.....is my diamond going to get like that. Anomone, how long is your diamond. I think mine is about 3"

miaheatlvr

IM gonna try to get a picture of mine, but I got a real shy one and he/shes afraid of his own shadow! BUT I as well have never had cleaner live sand and he is now conditioned to where he eats all kinds of food, not just things in the sand thank-god, i hear horror stories on how sometimes you can get a finicky one who doesnt eat and slowly starves to death...

just from how mine acts i would say min would be 40, but i bet you can check this site or any and get a real recommandation. i have a 46 gal and he has a home under everything.

rad

Yeah, alot of sites I read said 50gal. I need something for a 12g nano that sifts sand. I was hoping that maybe since these guys do alot of perching that it might work out. *cue suspenseful muzak* but putting a 6 inch (when fully grown) fish in a tank that small would be torture.

i have a conch that does pretty good but not for how big my tank is compared to him. there are alot of alternatives that you could consider. you best bet will probably be some snails. stars and sand-sifting fish might not be the way to go.

nigerian

I would also have to say my diamond goby is one of favs. He flips the sand and does a great job at keeping it clean. I also have a lawnmower and they get along pretty well. Sometimes I notice the diamond claiming his territory tho. I would say they need about 40gal tank and some a well established aquarium to find all kinds of food like uneaten, sunken food.

twogirls

went to lfs and got me a diamond goby 2 days ago. my sand went from brown to clean white in 1 day!!!!! this guy kicks butt!!!!

fenrir

Originally Posted by rad
Yeah, alot of sites I read said 50gal. I need something for a 12g nano that sifts sand. I was hoping that maybe since these guys do alot of perching that it might work out. *cue suspenseful muzak* but putting a 6 inch (when fully grown) fish in a tank that small would be torture.

I just got a twin spot goby 2 weeks ago and he keeps my 14 gallon sand absolutly spottless. I just make sure to feed him some mysis shrimp to mkae sure he gets all of the nutrition he needs.