Diamond Goby Problem

gmford1979

I have a problem with my diamond goby. the thing is messy. i've heard of them spitting sand on corals, but that isn't my problem. he makes such a mess that my tank is staying cloudy with sand and the corals that are high up in my tank are covered with sand. is there anything that i can do or do i need to get him out of the tank?

cam78

If you just got him, that is a common problem. Once he turns over all the substrate the cloudiness will disapate. I had the same problem for a week or so.

symon

same here , it really stays busy on the sand, i use a turkey baster to blow the sand off where I don't want it! Once he gets the sand worked the cloudeness will calm down, BTW watch your filter media, clean it often while this in happening!

miaheatlvr

Originally Posted by gmford1979
so it will settle down? i was just affraid of it stressing the fish or corals out. thanks!!

Everything will settle shortly, Golden Headed Sleepers are the gobys that lift the sand high and then dump all over the place, Diamons sift IN PLACE. big difference.

gmford1979

well he has been sifting, but he is digging under my rocks. i watched him tunnel under, then come out with a mouth full and spit it all over the place

gmford1979

alright guys, its been over a week and my tank is still just as cloudy as ever. the diamond goby has not relaxed with his digging. he digs under rocks and comes back up and spits the sand out. he is tunneling under all of my rocks. i guess i am going to give him a few more day and then i am going to have to catch him.

cam78

Yeah they burrow for sure. Once they make their home though they settle down. They don't burrow everywhere its just until they find a home they like. How is the cloudiness, did it go away?

gmford1979

no its still bad. everyday when i go home from work i have to get my turkey baster and blow off my corals, rocks, and powerheads. the cloudiness is bad.

miaheatlvr

Originally Posted by gmford1979
no its still bad. everyday when i go home from work i have to get my turkey baster and blow off my corals, rocks, and powerheads. the cloudiness is bad.
HE WILL STOP,Its like being a kid in a candy store, HE'S LIKE ALL THIS FRESH UNSIFTED SAND, WOW! Then he will make a few houses and settle down! My tank was cloudy for a week but then it settled and now he just sifts here and there and keeps y sand sparkling clean. I cannot live without this guy.