Diamond Goby

ashersmom

I bought a goby that was said to be a tiger watchman, but it looks alot like the diamond goby only with pink spots. Is it really a tiger watchman? Also do they eat crabs?

sepulatian

Can you post a picture of him? Here is a picture of my Diamond goby. There are several with pink marks. Post a picture of him.

sepulatian

That looks like a pinkspotted goby to me Cryptocentrus leptocephalus. Also known as a singapore shrimp goby. They will eat ornamental shrimps and are one of the more aggressive gobies. They grow to over 5 inches and are known to fight with smaller species of fish, especially if the tank is small.

ashersmom

Hmmm, interesting. I hope it is a sand sifter b/c that is what it was bought for. Do you know how much those usually are and are they rare?

sepulatian

Originally Posted by ashersmom
http:///forum/post/2684144
Hmmm, interesting. I hope it is a sand sifter b/c that is what it was bought for. Do you know how much those usually are and are they rare?
Most gobies sift sand to some extent. This fish is a carnivore though. He needs meaty food offered. What sized tank is this?

ashersmom

I have a 29 gal. I guess I will need to go and by some meaty food. Do you suggest a specific food for it? I knew the LFS were nuts.

sepulatian

http:///forum/post/2684154
I have a 29 gal. I guess I will need to go and by some meaty food. Do you suggest a specific food for it? I knew the LFS were nuts.
I recommend formula foods for all fish. These are frozen foods, not flake nor pellet, that have MANY ingredients in them. There are different kinds for different stock. Get something in a flat package, not brine, mysis, nor bloodworms. Buy a frozen food that combines things like shrimp, scallop, clam, green algae etc.
You may have trouble adding other fish later. He may get territorial.

ashersmom

I dont think I will add anymore fish. My stock consists of:
3 Black and white crabs
3 hermit crabs
5 astrea snails
1 perc
1 yellow tail
1 scooter blenny
and of course her.
I think my tank is full

kurtymac

YOu know what i have the same goby and i had no clue about all this hahahah, I feed brine shrimp to my tank, so i think he eats those ahhah. Yea he will shift sand. Mine isnt aggresive at all though.
Also they arent rare at all, my LFS gets them like a dime a dozen.
Its a really nice goby though, He shares a home with this smaller goby i have that looks like candy cane.

sepulatian

http:///forum/post/2684165
I dont think I will add anymore fish. My stock consists of:
3 Black and white crabs
3 hermit crabs
5 astrea snails
1 perc
1 yellow tail
1 scooter blenny
and of course her.
I think my tank is full

I am sorry, I thought this was your first fish. You are good to go and full. Watch the yellowtail as it matures.
Originally Posted by KurtyMac

http:///forum/post/2684168
YOu know what i have the same goby and i had no clue about all this hahahah, I feed brine shrimp to my tank, so i think he eats those ahhah. Yea he will shift sand. Mine isnt aggresive at all though.
Also they arent rare at all, my LFS gets them like a dime a dozen.
Its a really nice goby though, He shares a home with this smaller goby i have that looks like candy cane.
They are not rare at all. You have him with a barbershop goby, AKA highfin shrimp goby? I love those little guys! How long have you had the singapore?

ashersmom

sepulatian;2684172 said:
I am sorry, I thought this was your first fish. You are good to go and full. Watch the yellowtail as it matures.
Well thanks for the info. It is greatly appretiated!!

aquaguy24

i'd watch that scooter blenny also..wat are u feeding it...it needs a mature tank with copepods...if u feed ur fish frozen formula ..try not to overfeed as it might cloud your tank or a day or two....i feed my fish frozen formula one and two also...they love that stuff...but some ppl don't like using that product cuz of the gel binders...

ashersmom

My pink spot is brand new (couple of weeks) and the scooter is a couple of months. I love them they both add something a little different to the tank.