Diamond Goby!!!

big

I think still the Diamond is the all around best at cleaning...... The 40 would be just big enough......

t316

I have only one, in a 280, and it stays a "dust storm". With that said, I will mention that the tank had been up for over a year before he was added, so it's possible that I had "more" to stir up down there in the sand. But it's the biggest mess you have ever seen, and I have to clean my skimmer out every other day. I don't have the anwser here, as I'm waiting to see if maybe everything starts clearing up after he has finally hit "every" spot in the tank.

big

Originally Posted by T316
http:///forum/post/2853411
I have only one, in a 280, and it stays a "dust storm". With that said, I will mention that the tank had been up for over a year before he was added, so it's possible that I had "more" to stir up down there in the sand. But it's the biggest mess you have ever seen, and I have to clean my skimmer out every other day. I don't have the anwser here, as I'm waiting to see if maybe everything starts clearing up after he has finally hit "every" spot in the tank.
Yes they sure do stir up stuff. I used the dry Argonite when I set this DT originally insead of live. I must have used thousands of gallons rinsing in 5 gallon buckets of the stuff ridding it of the dusty cloudy part.... I am glad that I did not use that real fine sugar size stuff.I used the courser grade...... If I had I still would be seeing clouds behind where he goes.

marcb

I loved this fish when we had one. Unfortunately he did the jump thing and we lost him. Right now we have a pink and blue shrimpgoby.
Does anyone know if the two of them would be OK in the same tank, or are they antagonistic?

t316

Originally Posted by big
http:///forum/post/2854033
Yes they sure do stir up stuff. I used the dry Argonite when I set this DT originally insead of live. I must have used thousands of gallons rinsing in 5 gallon buckets of the stuff ridding it of the dusty cloudy part.... I am glad that I did not use that real fine sugar size stuff.I used the courser grade...... If I had I still would be seeing clouds behind where he goes.
Okay, you have my attention.....I used dry arognite as well, but I don't recall any advise as to "rinsing". I just dumped it in, then the water, next the salt (I agree, not the best method...but we are talking about a 280 gal. tank here). I don't recall any mention of advice to "rinse" the aragonite???? What do you know that I don't?

gradth

Ugh, got a diamond last weekend. 2 days later it jumped into my overflow and I think got sucked up the Utube and or jumped into the back of the overflow where it got beat half to death with water. Tried to save him but within a day he died.
I did have a dragon goby that did a great job cleaning the sand.

t316

Originally Posted by Gradth
http:///forum/post/2854093
Ugh, got a diamond last weekend. 2 days later it jumped into my overflow and I think got sucked up the Utube and or jumped into the back of the overflow where it got beat half to death with water. Tried to save him but within a day he died.
I did have a dragon goby that did a great job cleaning the sand.
Sorry dude....

big

Originally Posted by MarcB
http:///forum/post/2854052
I loved this fish when we had one. Unfortunately he did the jump thing and we lost him. Right now we have a pink and blue shrimpgoby.
Does anyone know if the two of them would be OK in the same tank, or are they antagonistic?
Wow this thread just keeps going....

This one you have may be aggressive to the newcomer.I think they by nature are one of the more aggresive Gobies. One problem is their very similar shape...... That can be an issue at times. Maybe others have had or tried both at the same time and would have an observation to give......
Here is a quote from another site describing this guy ..."This attractive goby is gray with pinkish bands on the body and pink spots on the head and fins. There are also small blue spots on the head. It is also one of the more aggressive shrimp-gobies. It is more likely to pose a behavioral problem if space is limited and they are one of the first introductions to the tank. Provide with a plenty of hiding places and a sand bottom."

big

http:///forum/post/2854091
Okay, you have my attention.....I used dry arognite as well, but I don't recall any advise as to "rinsing". I just dumped it in, then the water, next the salt (I agree, not the best method...but we are talking about a 280 gal. tank here). I don't recall any mention of advice to "rinse" the aragonite???? What do you know that I don't?
Maybe it was just the 35 years or so of messing around with FW before I "Jumped Ship" It just made sence to rid it of all the dust.......

Originally Posted by big
http:///forum/post/2854098
Wow this thread just keeps going....

This one you have may be aggressive to the newcomer.I think they by nature are one of the more aggresive Gobies. One problem is their very similar shape...... That can be an issue at times. Maybe others have had or tried both at the same time and would have an observation to give......
Here is a quote from another site describing this guy ..."This attractive goby is gray with pinkish bands on the body and pink spots on the head and fins. There are also small blue spots on the head. It is also one of the more aggressive shrimp-gobies. It is more likely to pose a behavioral problem if space is limited and they are one of the first introductions to the tank. Provide with a plenty of hiding places and a sand bottom."
Well I will go ahead and throw this out there. I bought a pink & blue spotted shrimp goby because it was labeled as a sand sifter and thought it was a cool looking diamond goby...
He has been doing fine for weeks with no problems at all.
Well after a few weeks I finally found a real diamond goby and added him. He did great for a week or so then died for no apparent reason. He had been in the LFS I got him from for over 2 weeks and when I got him home he sifted like a mad man and ate shrimp and was doing great. Then all of a sudden I wake up and find him dead. I have also had a jawfish and 2 neon gobies die for no apparent reason. I am beginning to suspect the pink/blue goby. He used to hide all the time but now he stays out all the time showing he is in charge....
On a side note I checked my water params daily and there were no water quality issues found, and all my other fish (besides other gobies) are doing great.

t316

Originally Posted by big
http:///forum/post/2854116
Maybe it was just the 35 years or so of messing around with FW before I "Jumped Ship" It just made sence to rid it of all the dust.......

Okay, you had me doing some "philosophical thinking" there. The concept of rinsing on the initial setup is okay, but I don't think that's going to be what's causing the extra "stir up" from a goby a year later (speaking of my case). I think it's more of an issue of there being a year's worth of crap/crud build up under all that sand that's going to take him a while to sift. (I'm hoping this is the case).

big

http:///forum/post/2854125
Okay, you had me doing some "philosophical thinking" there. The concept of rinsing on the initial setup is okay, but I don't think that's going to be what's causing the extra "stir up" from a goby a year later (speaking of my case). I think it's more of an issue of there being a year's worth of crap/crud build up under all that sand that's going to take him a while to sift. (I'm hoping this is the case).
Could be???........
Are you a DSB? I started with one but after seeing the ongoing "Landscaping" efforts of the Diamond to rearrange everything anywhere near the bottom I made a change. Over a period of a few months I scooped out about a cup full or two of substrate most every day and moved it to my Fuge. I now have a SSB and a heck of a lot more in the Fuge than I started with.......
By now his diet contains a lot less pods than it did at one time, but the pig eats practically anything that enters the tank anyway........

marcb

Originally Posted by big
http:///forum/post/2854098
Thanks.
If I do get the diamond, it will be for my new tanks, which is 250 gal. I would think there might be enough room in there to prevent conflict, but I'll observe carefully. Maybe I will add the diamond first and keep the pink & blue in the old tank for a while.

big

Well I will go ahead and throw this out there. I bought a pink & blue spotted shrimp goby because it was labeled as a sand sifter and thought it was a cool looking diamond goby...
He has been doing fine for weeks with no problems at all.
Well after a few weeks I finally found a real diamond goby and added him. He did great for a week or so then died for no apparent reason. He had been in the LFS I got him from for over 2 weeks and when I got him home he sifted like a mad man and ate shrimp and was doing great. Then all of a sudden I wake up and find him dead. I have also had a jawfish and 2 neon gobies die for no apparent reason. I am beginning to suspect the pink/blue goby. He used to hide all the time but now he stays out all the time showing he is in charge....
Yes it may be the aggressive traits of the P-B guy....Especially if he was in the tank first. I at times have seen "who can open their mouth the widest" spats between my Goby and my LMB, just because they both live on the bottom and are of similar body shape.

t316

Originally Posted by big
http:///forum/post/2854136
Could be???........
Are you a DSB? I started with one but after seeing the ongoing "Landscaping" efforts of the Diamond to rearrange everything anywhere near the bottom I made a change. Over a period of a few months I scooped out about a cup full or two of substrate most every day and moved it to my Fuge. I now have a SSB and a heck of a lot more in the Fuge than I started with.......
By now his diet contains a lot less pods than it did at one time, but the pig eats practically anything that enters the tank anyway........
No, I have maybe 2-3" of aragonite, but since the Diamond Goby was added, that could be interpreted as 8" in one spot and 0" in another, but no deep sand bed here.
Question....you say your's eats. Do you see him eat the food you put in? Because mine sand sifts like a mad man, but I have never seen him eat food that I put in the tank, like when all the other fish come up and eat....

lmecher

I have had one for a year and a half. At first I was regreting the purchase. It stirred up such a sand storm, lasted for days. Then came the reaquascaping, mountians would appear overnight, next day they were gone, over and over. After a few months it all subsided. He is still sifting like a madman but no more storms and no hills will appear. He has eaten with gusto what ever I offer, I will give him a few extra pellets on the sand that he sifts right up. He stays towards the bottom and has made no attempts to jump. I have introduced a blenny which he ignors. He is very well behaved and content spending nights in his tunnels. I just rescently purchased a yellow watchman goby for a different tank, it is tiny but is sifting his little heart out. The jury is still out on this guy, not too sure if he will keep the sand bed as tidy as his diamond cousin. I am not too concerned, I am falling in love with him too. In my opinion the benefits outweigh the drawbacks with these interesting little fish, gotta love 'em.

t316

Lmecher;2854204 said:
I am falling in love with him too. In my opinion the benefits outweigh the drawbacks with these interesting little fish, gotta love 'em.

So far, this is my opinon, but I'm still waiting for the sand storm to clear...