Diatom bloom...

misty927

I recently upgraded my lights to 50-50 power compacts...approximately 55 watts each...so 110 total in a 55 gallon with 45 lbs. LR, CC. Question is...I've recently experienced a major diatom bloom. Could this be attributed to the enhanced lighting, signify that I'm nearing the end of my cycle, or possibly both? My tank has been cycling for almost a month...readings are steadily declining...would have to check for accurate numbers. Is it time!?!?! :cool:

bluto

I got a heck of a diatom bloom when my tank approached the end of the cycle. I heard that it was normal and would probably go away on it's own but I got a cleaning crew anyway. For the most part it's now gone (don't know whether to attibute it to the crew or not?) but I still have some on the sandbed.
In other words...I think it's a good sign.
Bluto

nomar g

The diatom bloom is totally normal and will gradually lessen in time. Then you can start battling the real algae.

goofieones

Yeah, that brown stuff is ugly isn't it!! Anyways don't fret, it will go away, may take awhile. Mine went away in like 3 weeks. I was glad to see it go :) I would also recommend using RO water.