Diatom Blues

My 65 gal tank has been up and running for about 8 months. At the beginning I would get diatoms on my rocks and sand so for like 4 months I stoped running my lights. I assumed this was because I was using tap water insted of R/O. About a month ago I got a R/O unit and have since done 4 15 gal water changes (1 per week). I figured things would be fixed so I turned the lights back on and within a few days the diatoms are back and I don't get it.
Params
Ammonia: 0
Nitrites: 0
Nitrates: 0
Ph: 8.2
Sal: 1.025
Temp: 80
I only have a SFE and a pair of small clownfish in the tank so I'm not overstocked and I don't over feed them.
I want to grow some coraline on the rocks and its driving me nuts

Please help!

row

try testing your phosphates. Algae thrives with even just a trace of phopshates. Everytime u feed, even if u dont overfeed, u are introducing organic waste into your tank, which turns into phosphate.
I am also have a heck of a time with brown diatoms on my sand. I got an R/O unit about 2 months ago but am still having a problem due to phosphates. Im just gonna have to buy some type of phosphate remover for my filter.

geoj

10 Astraea snails and siphon the sand when you do water changes
PS: you did not post your Cal and KH

Sure snails and siphoning will get rid of them for a short time but I want to know how to get rid of them for good.
Also thats all my test kit tests for. Since its only a fowlr I didn't opt for those other testers.
Anyone else out there that will help?

geoj

Originally Posted by Thoroughbred
Sure snails and siphoning will get rid of them for a short time but I want to know how to get rid of them for good.
Also thats all my test kit tests for. Since its only a fowlr I didn't opt for those other testers.
Anyone else out there that will help?
I want to grow some coraline on the rocks and its driving me nuts
I find other algae will out grow coraline if the Cal and Alk are low

amanda46051

We basically added a CUC and we put phosban along with Charcoal in the sump. We were able to get rid of the brown stuff.