diatom problem geting worse!

dapak83

guys my cleanup crew isnt really doing there job... i got diatom still grown on the glass like no ones business... the snails and stuff just stay on the rock!!! do i need to get more snails? what else can i get?

mr_bill

Snails won't really help with that, You can wait it out and make sure you use RO/DI water. Also, do you have a glass tank? If so buy a mag-float, a little work and your glass will be clean.

dapak83

ohh soo u just say i shud just clean it my self.... i thought the snials were supose to take care of that problem.... guess not!!!
1 more thing.. my clamm hasnt still been outa hiding.. its been like 6 days i havnt seen him anywhere!!! on a bright note.. my tang is doing very well and eating soo i m happy about that!

mr_bill

Sorry, I have no experience with clams. Usually if your in the Diatom stage you have been using tap water for your water changes. It will take a while before the diatom algae uses up all the nutrients in the water.

dapak83

well i did start with tap butttt.... i m doing changes and everything with RO water soo i shud be good sooner or later hehe!

treystang

Originally Posted by dapak83
well i did start with tap butttt.... i m doing changes and everything with RO water soo i shud be good sooner or later hehe!
Do 3 50% water changes (or 2 75%changes).. over the course of 3 days. Cut back your lighting and that stuff should start disappearing.

dapak83

thanks for the advice broo but i got fishes in my tank and i dont think they will be too happy with me doing that ! :-D

kdfrosty

Originally Posted by treystang
Do 3 50% water changes (or 2 75%changes).. over the course of 3 days. Cut back your lighting and that stuff should start disappearing.
I don't mean to flame you, treystang, but you shouldn't be doing that large of water changes. I think time will take it's toll, and the diatoms will eventually go away as long as you continue to use RO. Cleaning the front glass is definitely a good thing....I clean mine daily.
I would stick with your RO top offs, and only mixing new saltwater with RO as well. Weekly water changes of 10% and a little time will set you straight.

cartman101

i had a bad diatom outbreak. I used tap to fill the tank up then did water changes with ro/di water.......i still had diatoms from april to december!

cowfishrule

until last week, i continued to use tap water for my water changes. after the first 2 months of my tank being running, the diatoms went away. now im battling a hair algae problem :mad: :mad: :mad:
would rather have diatoms than hair algae