Diatoms!! How to get ride of them!

zanoshanox

Hey all, I have a really bad case of daitoms, I dont know how to get rid of them. They are all over the back wall of my tank and on some of my rockword and corals. What causes them? How do I get rid of them?

jerth6932

Originally Posted by zanoshanox
Hey all, I have a really bad case of daitoms, I dont know how to get rid of them. They are all over the back wall of my tank and on some of my rockword and corals. What causes them? How do I get rid of them?
How old is your tank and what type of water do you use?

jerth6932

It has been set up for about a year, 20 G long. I use distilled tap.
Is in in direct sunlight? Cause if not then you shouldn't have Diatoms..... it is somthing else.....

jerth6932

Wait....diatoms are those little bubbles right? or are those kicrobubbles...? IM CONFUSED :help:
Diatoms are a Brown/DARK Green Algea looking covering.......... It covers alot ..... not bubbles.....

zanoshanox

Oh well what are the bubbles? Are the microbubbles? How do i get rid of them? Theyre all over my corals the back glass and it seems like i see one pop up from the sand every once in the while and rise to the surface...?

jerth6932

bump
What color are they? If they are green then it is bubble algea...

jerth6932

ohh I should of read before I asked.....lol ..... but that is just trapped gases and air that gets stuck to the stuff in there!!!

zanoshanox

How do i get rid of it? What causes it? There are millions of them and they are making my tank look terrible...

L

lagger

Silica sand might do it also. I have silica sand and I have diatoms on my sand every once in a while. Upgrading from 15w NO to 2x65w PC didn't help either, but I've since cut my light period down to 6 hours and I'm raising it s l o w l y. GL mang.

zanoshanox

WE'VE ALREADY DIFURED OUT THAT ITS NOT DIATOMS. Its trapped air pockets that are ALL OVER my tank...
I NEED TO KNOW HWO TO GET RID OF THEM, can someone actually give me an asnwer to my question...?!?