Diatoms

trigger111

Lately I have had an infestation of the brown powder....is there anything I can do do get rid of it besides buying the filter for it? I clean it out about every other day to get rid of most of it.

malounsbury

How long has your tank been running? Have you taken your water parameters lately? Especially in newer tanks, these things will show up, but after awhile they tend to go away. Also, are you using tap water? The silicates in the tap water will feed the diatoms and make them stay around longer.

trigger111

Yes I am using tap water that goes through a water softener. The tank was set up for two years before I got it and it has been set up for two months since I got it. Everything is the same except I change the lighting to a 260watt JEBO. The water tests are all good except I am registering .25 on my amonia.

malounsbury

Diatoms generally happen when the tank is cycling or if you're using tap water. Even though you're running it through a softener, its probably not removing everything. You may want to consider getting an RO/DI unit or switching to distilled water as it will help control the breakouts of diatoms.
Per the other post you had about ammonia, take some water to your LFS and have them test and see what your parameters are. Your tank may be in a mini cycle.

dmitry

I've had the same problem for the last few days! Ammonia jumped up to .25 and diatoms are everywhere!