Diatons How To Get Rid Of

debi0000

I SEEM TO BE HAVING A BIG PROBLEM WITH WHAT I BELIEVE IS DIATONS OR MAYBE PHOSPATE. ALTHOUGH WHEN I TEST FOR PHOSPHATES IT ALWAYS TURNS OUT NEGATIVE. WHAT SHOULD I DO TO CLEAR THIS UP. SHOULD I START USING HIGH QUALITY BOTTLED WATER FOR TOP OFFS AND WATER CHANGES? MY WATER NEVER SEEMS TO BE CRYSTAL CLEAR. ANY ADVICE WOULD BE APPRECIATED!
THANKS DEBI0000

kevin34

What kind of water are you using now? Tap water? If you are you should really switch to RO water.

reefkprz

ok one way to have a phosphate problem but test nil is to have a source consuming them as fast as they enter the tank, algae.
also try testing for silicates, diatoms cannot grow with out silicic acid. usually diatoms are a phase new tanks go through, but if there are silicates riding in on your water source you will never be free of diatoms, usually they convert the available silicates to a non soluble form of silica then when they die the silica sinks becoming part of the sand bed. so the ongoing diatoms have to have a source of silicic acid to be a continuos thing.

snaredrum

reefkprZ said:
ok one way to have a phosphate problem but test nil is to have a source consuming them as fast as they enter the tank, algae.
This is 100% Correct! I was having the same problem. Always testing the tank. Try testing the water before you put it in the tank. I was putting Phosphate in my tank without knowing it. First it was the RO from the Supermarket. It tested 0.1 they weren't changing their filters. Then it was the LFS I buy my premixed saltwater from (I only need 5 gallons at a time with the 29 cube) it tested 0.1 phosphate. I went back to the old LFS that I bought my water from before and bingo! No Phosphates. That is what you get when you try and save 10 cents a gallon. Also, Mexican Turbos cleaned up the problem real fast.

debi0000

Snaredrum said:
Originally Posted by reefkprZ
This is 100% Correct! I was having the same problem. Always testing the tank. Try testing the water before you put it in the tank. I was putting Phosphate in my tank without knowing it. First it was the RO from the Supermarket. It tested 0.1 they weren't changing their filters. Then it was the LFS I buy my premixed saltwater from (I only need 5 gallons at a time with the 29 cube) it tested 0.1 phosphate. I went back to the old LFS that I bought my water from before and bingo! No Phosphates. That is what you get when you try and save 10 cents a gallon. Also, Mexican Turbos cleaned up the problem real fast.

what is a mexican turbo?