Did I get a deal???? Squidd, et al DIYers

turningtim

I just picked up a 125gal reef system. It is very old 10+ years. Here's what I got AGA 125 tank (not drilled), stand (trash), Aqua C 180 w/ 800gph dolphin pump (1 year old), heater, full light hood w/ 3-175 mh, Icecap electronic ballasts (controll box) and 2 act 96w and 2 4" fans, 150 lbs base rock (very nice), HOB overflow (trash), Lifeguard wet/dry (trash), A couple of PH's, new python, Full bucket of salt and asst. other misc. stuff.
Couple of things, I have pressure washed all the rock and it looks very nice. Cleaned the tank and have found some very light scrathes. It looks like someone used steel wool to remove algae or somthing on the inside. Is there a way to remove scrathes? Will they be as noticable when filled w/ water? There seems to be a film on the inside of the tank (age), Is there a way to clean this ? I was thinking vinagar of somthing like that? Can I still drill this tank b/c it is quite old? The other thing is there is no crossbraceing but the plastic trim looks to be very stout 2+"
The skimmer has several stress cracks around the collection cup, should I worry about this? I know nothing about the lights so I will have to investigate.
What do ya'll think? I paid $450 for this! Everything was very dirty but nothing a little elbow grease can't clean-up.
The reason for posting here is I plan on a fairly massive DIY project with this tank. That will include Stand, canapy, drilling tank (if I can), CL system, Refuge and sump, Built in overflow, I may build a huge skimmer, and all of this will be plumbed to a new DIY fishroom in the basement.
I want to do this all myself! Tools, skills, money and patience are not a problem. My goal is to have water flowing by the first of the year.
Squidd, et al, I will need some serious help! I want to learn!
I need some input! Did I get ripped off?
Thanks, Tim

robchuck

That sounds like a pretty good deal for all that you got!
From the sounds of it, the scratched glass might be repairable; though it may not be economical. If the scratches really bother you, it may just be cheaper to suck it up and buy a brand new tank. Even if you junked the tank, you still got a good deal for the rest of the equipment at $450. Plus, AGA 125's aren't too expensive, in fact, I see them for sale near me all the time for around $250. A quick wiping of the tank with distilled white vinegar dilluted with water should be able to take care of the film and any coralline algae deposits.
I wouldn't worry too much about the stress cracks on the skimmer. I had an EV-180 for awhile that ran just fine with a few stress cracks in the collection cup.
It certainly sounds like you have a fun and ambitious project on your hands. I recently finished a large tank project, and the joy of seeing aquatic life in the tank makes all the hardships along the way worth it!

squidd

Sounds like a good deal..and like Rob C said even without the tank...
So that frees you up to "experiment" a bit on the tank with the Drilling and scratch removal buffing and still not be to bad off it it doesn't work...

turningtim

Thanks, Unfortunatly I was not planing on dealing with the scratches but I thought it was a pretty good deal. Rob,Squidd your right, looking on the bright side if I screw it up then I'm not out much. Any DIY way to fix scratches? They are very shallow.
Do you think it's OK to drill being so old and also w/o crossbracing? I would like some kind of built in overflow and a CL. I'm currantly reading Leona's 101 again and will get back with goals and such (if that's OK). I also have a couple of glass tanks that I hope can be used for the system (29,50). Other than that I would like to start fresh and do it once and right.
I guess my first thought is what do I need to do proactivly. Should I do something with the base rock and somehow hook it in with my currant system? So it's ready to go?
Anything else I should think about? Besides the PAIN AND SUFFERING that i'm setting myself up for!!!

Thanks, Tim

squidd

Was the base rock "dry" before you washed it or was it in the tank growing lifeforms...??
How long has it been out of "circulation" since you got it...??
How long till your ready to fire this system up...??
Do you have another system going to add the rock to, to get it ready for the new setup...??

turningtim

This is the story that I got. Some of the rock was in the tank and some was stored. The one thing I will say is that this whole package deal was a mess. The tank had been recently broken down (several weeks) and the rock was left to dry-out w/o cleaning. So it was all dry, some with dry lifeforms. After cleaning it all I will have to say that the rock was a very nice surprise. It's quite nice stuff.
I'm not looking to have the tank up and running for several monthes. I have a lot of set-up work to do. Stand,Work area in the basement, System plans and such things!
Right now I have a 50 (not drilled) going with a wet/dry, DIY recirc skimmer, PC lights, 50lbs LR and DSB. This I beleive will make a nice Fuge? I would also like to turn the wet/dry into a small fuge for my 50. Any head start I can get for the big system the better. If the 50 is to small for the "goals" fuge then I will keep it and maybe a Trigger tank or something. So I think the small fuge could also be used.
So I was thinking that I could set up an out of stand sump (rubbermaid?) and put some of the base rock in it and get it "cooking". Also start the small fuge with some.
I also have a 29 and a stand for it so maybe that's the way to go for the "rock farming". I should have enough equimpment to get that going at min. expence.
Any thought on the tank itself?
Thanks, Tim

squidd

I'm not looking to have the tank up and running for several monthes. I have a lot of set-up work to do. Stand,Work area in the basement, System plans and such things!
Then leave it dry until your ready to set the tank up, use it as "base rock", and "seed" it and cycle with a few new/good "Live Rock" once it's up and running..You could put a few in your current set up and use those to "seed" the new tank..
50 will make a nice Fuge for the 125 ,drill and bulkhead "side" for gravity drain to the 29 for the sump portion...

jer4916

sounds like a decent deal.... i have an acrylic tank that i bought recently that had some scratchs i used novus polish (google it) it removed ALL of my scratchs looks MINT! they also make stuff for glass, so im assuming its as good.
im not sure if your deal was the best deal though, ...i got a 125 acrylic tank/stand/can/ecosystem thats only 3 years old ... for $550 delivered to my door...
got pictures of yours?
heres my new one ..i just set it up! ...but from one guy to another... going from a 55 to a 125 is going to be AMAZING (i used to have a 55 salt)

turningtim

Thanks for the scratch remover! Nice looking tank! I'm fairly pleased with what I got. I'll be very happy if I can get the scratches out. But the rest of the stuff was worth it. The tank will be a bonus.
Thanks Squidd, I'll be back!
Thanks again,
Tim