Did i get a deal

noodle

Hey guys well i just got a new tank. Its a 29 gal. glas tank with and eclipse lid. With dual retro fit 55 wat 10k powercompact (one daylight and on actinic). for 200$. Also he watns to sell me his four inches of live sand that have been up for 1.5 years for $3 dollars a pound. I consist of argonite and coral at bottom and moves up to fine sand. thx for your opinions.

gemini

That sounds like a descent price. It sounds like he just threw in the upgrades and extras. Don't know about the price on the sand though. I can get it at mu LFS for 2.99 lb.

Just tell him you want it without the sand and see how fast he comes down on price once he realizes he might be stuck with a pile of sand with no place to put it. It becomes pretty worthless outside the friendly confines of that tank.

rockster

Noodle, New-to-saltwater said he/she can get his LS for 2.99 and you are offered 3.00 well a penny saved here is not necessarily a penny earned because you will have to pay for shipping and handling :D

broomer5

Hi Noodle,
Great name - I like it - not sure why - I just like it.
If you already bought this tank - it sounds like a good deal to me.
Personally I would pass on most anyones "spare" live sand. IMO way too many unknowns to add to my tank. Could be just fine - or could be something lurking down under there with that crushed coral down there. Plus once you start disturbing a sandbed - who know what's can get stirred up.
Top notch fresh from the ocean live sand, or a special tank for fine grade live sand is another story.
Guess it would depend on if his sand is in one of his "fish" stocked tanks - or just has a sand tank going.

noodle

thx for all of the help. I like your name to broomer :) are u a janiter? j/k. I think i will get my sand from the lfs b/c i can get it for same price. Also he has live rock for sale and some other lights. they are just about the same as the pc's 55watt 10k but a different brand. How bad do i need these? Do u think the live rock is safe also?