Did I hypo too quickly? Lost a fish

guitarfish

I woke up this morning and my coral beauty was dead. Here's the history:
Monday - discovered ich on yellow tang. Setup QT immediately with tank water. SG was 1.022 when I began, and I lowered it to 1.018 over 4 hrs, 1g per hour. Kept pH stable.
Tues - more freshwater added gradually throughout day, got to 1.014 by Tues night, 24hrs after starting.
Wed - Dropped to 1.010 over 5 hrs. Still keeing pH stable. Fish eating, active, so far so good.
Thurs am - coral beauty dead; Clarkii clown staying in corner, won't eat. Can't find fridmani pseudo, not sure if he's in an ornament alive or dead. Tang is fine, so is blue yellowtail damsel.
Checked calibration of refractometer with RO water at same temp as tank - it's calibrated dead on. QT now measures 1.009, dead on.
It's a 28g tank, btw, presently with 3, possibly 4 fish.
Checked for ammo/nitrite. Ammo is 1ppm. There's a big clue. Put in ammo Lock 2. That's where I am right now, very disheartened. Any suggestions are welcome.
I plan to do water changes each day to deal with water quality.

saltfin

I've been thru this too. Probably was the nitrites. Just 1 fish will drive up a newly setup QT in a days time, in 2 days probably burning them pretty good, by day 3 ans so on they will die if you do not change 50% water on daily basis. Sorry. Keep a Qt up and running for emergency. Took me forever years to learn this.