Did I just royally screw myself!!!???

asbury030

Well fellas I made my first sump/ refugium. I used some silicone from home depot that was 100% silicone and actually ran out of that stuff so ran to ace hardware just because it is closer. I looked all around for something that was not mildew resistant and came across the silicone 2 GE general household repair and looked all over the tube to and did not say anything about being mildew resistant. But to my knowledge now I find out it is. But I only used this GE 2 silicone on one baffle. my tank was cloudy for about 2 days lost my urchin. So I ran some carbon tank cleared up but I think I lost my starfish today. but my tank looks fine... my 2 fish look okay also my snails, hermit crab and emerald crab look like they are doing good as for my corals they look ehh. My question to you guys is what should I do now? Is my whole tank compromised? It is a 20 gallon high with a 10 gallon as my refuge.

2quills

Depending on how heavy it is applied the recommended cure times can actually double or triple, especially with neutral cure silicone like G.E. 2 which many folks have used for baffles without crashing the system. I recommend a week of dry time for that stuff. Probably 4-6 days for the RVT stuff otherwise you risk leaching acids into the system.
FYI, all silicone have mold resistant qualities. But stay away from the kitchen and bath stuff.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Quills http:///t/396562/did-i-just-royally-screw-myself#post_3533555
Depending on how heavy it is applied the recommended cure times can actually double or triple, especially with neutral cure silicone like G.E. 2 which many folks have used for baffles without crashing the system. I recommend a week of dry time for that stuff. Probably 4-6 days for the RVT stuff otherwise you risk leaching acids into the system.
FYI, all silicone have mold resistant qualities. But stay away from the kitchen and bath stuff.

Wow...but what can Asbury do now, if anything, is the worst over?

2quills

Either start over and wait a little longer or start doing some aggressive water changes for the next week or so and just keep a close eye on things, I suppose. His call.

asbury030

Well I decided I am going to tear my 10 gallon sump and re do it with this momentive sealant. My question is how long should I let this stuff sit before exposing it to the saltwater? Here is a picture of the stuff I am going to use.

2quills

I just used razor blades and rubbing alcohol to remove the old stuff when I resealed my 120g.
That momentive is good stuff you can use it for tank building. 4 days of dry time to be safe.