Did I just screw up my tank

schenkel

I have a 15 gallon that has had nitrates - 40. I wanted it down to 20 so I added a butt load of "grape Algae".
Now my nitrates are at 60 and climbing. Did I just overload my bioload? I thought the seaweed would reduce nitrates. It looks ugly as hell anyway.
Also, how long does it take "base rock" to become live rock. I have a huge pc of Tufa Stone that has been in the tank from the beginning(May 5th). It has some great coraline algea growth and even a little featherduster. Not sure how but whatever. How long does it take to be considered "live".
Thank you.

S

sinner's girl

Why did you add something? The seaweed would just turn into nirtrates....
Anyway, just do a water change to bring now the nitrates.
If the rock has stuff growing on it, then it's alive, or at least that what I think, if I'm wrong someone please correct me.

acekjd83

it only takes a month or two for base rock to become fully colonized by bacteria, the life that makes "live rock". by the time the macrofauna like corals and featherdusters become established, the rock is definitely well-established "live" rock.
the caulerpa (grape algae) will remove nitrates by absorbing them and building proteins, but some bits will die when stressed, releasing the proteins in those parts, which will then release the nitrogen used to build those proteins. after the initial die-off, the caulerpa will grow very vigorously, taking in lots of nitrates. it looks pretty gnarly, but it is good at removing nitrates.

littleliza

would you be able to post a picture of it? I had thought of buying some of it, but wasn't sure how it would look. I'd enjoy seeing what it looks like in a real tank.

jjlittle

Plant will reduce nitrates but it is not sn over night deal . Not sure why yours are on the rise but I wouldn't think it is do to the plants you added as long as they are live.

dr. evil

what the heck is grape algae is that what someone told is called bubble algae little green orbs tat kinda feel lik a glass ball when you hold them

S

sinner's girl

feather duster , could be aiptasia
:notsure: They look and act nothing alike. How could you confuse the two. If in doubt check under inverts and you'll see some feather dusters.
"grape Algae"
what the heck is this? Never add anything you can't test for.
just do a water change and keep an eye on your levels.

schenkel

Where do I begin.
"Grape algae" is the slang that was used in front of me is a type of seaweed.
The "feather duster" looks like a little white turd with very small red freathers on one end of it.
The coraline growth on a pc of LFS white coral that I put in my tank at the beginning.
And the Blenny - She is my favorite.
Thanks for the imput. After reading all the treads my problem was I had some die off of the seaweed. I am taking some of it out now and I should be fine. Also went from NAZI every 2 week water changes to 3 - 4 week water changes. I knew better than to sluff off a water change with only a 15 gallon. Currently looking for a 72 - 80 gal bow front. Will probably then turn the Eclipse 1 into a reef tank after /I find the right tank.
PS - I love this sight.

zman1

Originally Posted by acekjd83
it only takes a month or two for base rock to become fully colonized by bacteria, the life that makes "live rock". by the time the macrofauna like corals and featherdusters become established, the rock is definitely well-established "live" rock.
the caulerpa (grape algae) will remove nitrates by absorbing them and building proteins, but some bits will die when stressed, releasing the proteins in those parts, which will then release the nitrogen used to build those proteins. after the initial die-off, the caulerpa will grow very vigorously, taking in lots of nitrates. it looks pretty gnarly, but it is good at removing nitrates.

What ace said -- it's grape caulerpa... both grape and fern caulerpa purge their chlorophyll at times and sets the skimmer off. Your rise may be due to some die off of the caulerpa.