Did my clowns get a devorce?

sman

My clowns have never acted like this, they were always within 4 or 5 inches of each other swimming along, not a care in the world. Now they can often be found at composite ends of the tank, very rarely next to each other, and they sometimes fight and try and nip at each other like when they were first introduced. Whats the deal?

invertcrazy

What kind of clowns are they---- How long have they been together-- Are both the same size or is one larger than the other

sman

They have been together for about 9 months. They are ORA False Percs. When I first got them, they were very close in size, but now one is deffinitly bigger, not by much, but it is.

invertcrazy

My guess would be that the bigger one is changing from male to female. If this is happening then the female will pick on the male until she becomes the dominant one. Sometimes she can get violent, but they will settle down.
I don't think you have anything to worry about. I'm sure if anyone knows or has any thoughts they will chime in.

donald

Sounds like what my pair did. When I bought them they were only 3/4 of an inch long and they were inseperable, but now that they have matured the female always bosses the male around. She took over my BTA even tho he found it first. Sometimes she completely runs him off and he hides behind the overflow box! He usualy comes back out after a couple of hours, I guess he says something that she doesnt like!
Just give nother nature time and they will sort it out. It can look very violent but rarely ends in any harm, just hurt feelings.

meeks101

There is different stages of the clownfish relationship. I can't list all of them because I don't know them by heart but I suggest the book: Clownfishes BY: Joyce D. Wilkerson. It really helped me learn about clownfishes. You know how humans have different stages in their love? Like dating and stuff like that. It's just like clownfish! I really suggest you read this book!

sman

Ill have to see about picking up that book. The thing is, when they first went in they were cool with each other for maybe a week, then they really started tearing into each other. Like grabbing fins and thrashing each other around, I was in shock, I had no idea they got this violent! But after about 3 days of this they quit and have been inseperable ever since. Until lately that is. Now there just another fish to each other in the tank, lol. Maybe they got board of each other and were looking for "other fish in the sea", haha!

dogfaceman

Originally Posted by sman
http:///forum/post/2718259
Ill have to see about picking up that book. The thing is, when they first went in they were cool with each other for maybe a week, then they really started tearing into each other. Like grabbing fins and thrashing each other around, I was in shock, I had no idea they got this violent! But after about 3 days of this they quit and have been inseperable ever since. Until lately that is. Now there just another fish to each other in the tank, lol. Maybe they got board of each other and were looking for "other fish in the sea", haha!
the clowns probably had an argument, or maybe the male clown has some baby making issues, so she will naturally go find a new clown.(im not joking about this either, clowns in nature will do it sometimes)