Did my Lion stab my Trigger in the eye?

Ok, dumb question. We just put an undulated trigger in with a volitan on Saturday. At first the trigger nipped at the lion and chased him around. Well, he hid most of the day yesterday and I just saw him a few minutes ago and his right eye is covered in a white scaly looking film. Also, it looks like there may be a slash down his eye and he is doing this weird twitching deal. Could one of the lion's spines have poked him in the eye? or could it be something else? I will try to take pics but he is keeping that side hidden in the rock he is in.

nicetry

If the lion was defending itself, the trigger may have been injured by one of the lion's spines. It's a well known caveat that triggers and lions are not the best tankmates. While certain triggers are a safer bet, an undulated is a very poor choice to house with any lion. I would remove the trigger. I think the lion will be killed sooner than later.

Thanks, I had no idea a trigger would do that. I have a second tank I can move him to. Any suggestions on the eye? Should i try to treat it, or let it heal on it's own?

nicetry

It may heal w/o intervention. Observe it for swelling or a worsening of the scaly appearanceor cloudiness. Lionfish stings are not necessarily fatal, but a strong hit could be. The venom may be causing the twitching behavior. I'd keep the lights low in the trigger's tank. Make sure it is eating.

hammerhed7

get that trigger out of your tank or it will kill your lion, that is a terrible combination, and one of these fish has to go asap.

srfisher17

Originally Posted by Hammerhed7
get that trigger out of your tank or it will kill your lion, that is a terrible combination, and one of these fish has to go asap.
The idea that lions are aggressive fish is one of the biggest myths in the hobby. They are predators; but in trigger & lion combinations, the lion will almost always lose. The flowing fins of the slow moving lion are just too tempting. I know many people have kept them together with no problem (usually a less aggressive trigger, like a bluethroat). There seems to be plenty of exceptions to every opinion in this hobby. But; IMO & IME, lions and triggers just don't belong together.

I pulled him out and put some melafix in with him last night. He seems to be doing better. I'm not sure if the lion did it or if it is some type of disease but either way I didn't want to take the chance. I haven't been able to get a clear picture, if I do I will post it. We bought the lion and the trigger from the same lfs and he gave us no warning. He said they should be fine together. Glad ya'll are here though!

srfisher17

Originally Posted by Michelle1981
I pulled him out and put some melafix in with him last night. He seems to be doing better. I'm not sure if the lion did it or if it is some type of disease but either way I didn't want to take the chance. I haven't been able to get a clear picture, if I do I will post it. We bought the lion and the trigger from the same lfs and he gave us no warning. He said they should be fine together. Glad ya'll are here though!
They often are OK together; but often are not, too. One of the giant gray areas with no "always true" answers, good luck with them.