Did research now need some experts to help with lighting

wyldgunz

Doing more research still...
Im currently looking at a 48" hood with 2 x bulb (metal halide) combo with either a VHO or 2x CP .
My question now is, in a 55 gallon reef tank ,where i want to have beautiful clams and other such things like sps corals, should i go with 2x175 halides or 2x250 halides?
Also Should i get the 110w VHO in it or go for the 2x96 pc in the hood ?
Lastly what K bulbs should i get with the halides? Im looking to provide the best light i can in the tank and dont want to skimp on the Bulbs.Take into account there will be either 1 VHO bulb or 2 CP bulbs. im not really familiar with the color ratio on the 5,500K-20,000K Halide bulbs but want the best i can get and dont want to mess anything up with the combo of lights.
I bought a 4x65 CP light as my first light for this tank and if i can't return it , it will be a costly mistake but your knowlege on this board has saved my tankmates from living an unhappy life in an underlit tank. I want to do this right so please, those that know the hobby inform me 8) With your help im hoping to make this an enjoyable hobby , so i can stare in awe into my tank everyday.
I feel horrible as the LFS's in my area really are misinformed and cant offer much help. i want to say thank you to everyone for the info im able to read on these boards its helped a lot.

perchpsk

You should really be fine with the 2 175 watt halides with the 2 96 watt pc's. thats almost 550 watts or 10 watts per gallon. It never hurts to add more light/watts, but I'd save some money and go with that set-up. I have it on my 55 and it works great. Personally I like the 10K bulbs, they have a nice color and you get really good growth of your corals at that range. I've heard the 20k's dont promote growth as well. Most clams like rocky areas and with the wattage you are looking at they should be fine.

jarvis

I am not an expert. I would go with the 250s. 250s with some VHOs is a pretty bulletproof light setup IMO. I would even consider going 400s if it going to be prodominently SPS and clams. A chiller comes to mind though. Alot of people are running Ushios 10Ks. I really am pleased with the look of my Iwasaki 6500 with some VHO supplements.

leigh

I'd urge 250's as well for an SPS/clam tank. It's a lot cheaper to go ahead and get them now than to change your mind down the road--take a huge hit selling the 175's and then buy the 250's. You can always run 175 bulbs on the 250's if it seems like too much light, but it won't.

attml

I currently have 2 -250w (MH) 10K Ushios and 2 -110w URI VHO Super Actenics over my 55 gal and am very happy with the look and growth. Having used both VHO & PC I perfer the look of the VHO for supplemental actenic (just seems to glow more!)! I agree with the 250 vs the 175w. For just a little more money you get a lot more light! I got my first clam yesterday and it opened up as soon as I put the acclimation bag under my lights! If you are setting up a SPS tank make sure you also have a lot of flow in the tank. SPS corals like strong turbid flow!

wyldgunz

I really appreciate the input , beeing just past the green mark makes it tough for me in picking out things like lights due to lack of experience. Sounds like ill go with the 250's better more than enough than to make another mistake on lighting and bite the bullet on another wasted light.
Thank you again it really means a lot to me to have ppl that know what they are talking about rather than someone who works in a lfs that needs a summer job.

wyldgunz

Well i picked out my light and ordered it , just waiting on assembly and shipping.
I got a PFO Acro light with 2 x 250W double ended halides (Ushio 10k) also 2 x 110W super atinic VHO's. An external Dual HQI electronic ballasts and 2- 3" IceCap ajustable speed fans. using a UV inhibitor glass lens.

I'm hoping this is my solution to anything i want to put in my tank to keep it healthy and wonderful to look at.
Thanx again for the info everyone!

coralwish

Wyld Gunz, Where did you order your MH from? And for huch much? Are you trying to sell your 4x65 PCs? Please give me an email TOMUS6@YAHOO.COM. It's would be really nice of you since I'm dying for some efficient lighting in my tank. thanks

attml

You should be able to keep anything you want uder that set up! Keep us updated with some pictures!

krux

thats approaching my dream lighting scheme as i am not really an sps guy and dont need the 400's heating my apartment and tank. good purchase! (nice fans btw)

wyldgunz

CoralWish, i got the halide hood at an marine store online
it ran about 1k.
As for the JBJ im not sure what im going to do with it. ill probably end up selling it , and if i do ill send you an e-mail if your interested.'
Also once the new lights are here and over tank ill post some before and after pics of the tank. Everything is doing pretty well under the lights i have now but ive noticed a little fading of color in a few things. I did however manage to save a plate coral that was looking pretty homley that i got from a lfs :) so the JBJ lights cant be too bad.