Dieing Anemonie

speedballer

Hey All,
First post and glad to have joined the forum finally after lurking for some time :)
Anyways while I was away this Friday my girlfriend thought it would be "cute" to get "nemo" some "friends".
Sigh...
Anyways I'm pretty sure one of them is dying, and the other looks alright. My lighting is definitely inadequate but I have some in the mail e.t.a 5 days. My plan was to run my lights 16-18hours day to try and help these guys out till my better lights come in.
My questions to you more knowledgeable people are as follows:
-What type of anemonies are these? (gf forgot)
-Will clowns even pair with these?
-Will they be alright till my better lights come in a week? (Running about 1watt/gallon now, upgrading to 4watt/gallon
-Is the one that looks sick dying, any tips?
-How best to punish girlfriend for messing with my tank?
Thank you so much in advance!!!
Anemonie 1 - Spread out next to a rock, nice tentacles, no visible mouth.

Anemonie 2- Looks like a hockey puck, some o.k. tentacles and some that look like spaghetti, oozing black crud.
(This is the one I'm worried about)

mrdc

"Nemos" will host when they want and it's not always a sure thing. Mine is actually hosting a bubble coral even though it can't wedge itself into the coral rather it just stays right beside it at all times. I had another one host frogspawn in the past.
Anemones can be tough to keep especially if you don't have adequate light. You mentioned that you have 1 watt per gallon right now so how big is your tank?
Also looks like some sort of bubble tip anemone. That's just a guess.

jubbin2001

Looks like you have a Sebae there, and unless you have MH or HQI lighting coming, chances are they won't last to long. I have heard some success stories with individually reflected T5s over driven by a Icecap 660 ballast, some TEK, and ATI fixtures, but in general T5 fixtures as well as CFL (compact flourescent) are not going to give this animal what it needs. I have had one before and it died after about 3 months because my Nova Extreme T5 fixture just didn't put out enough light.
Also as far as the "spaghetti, oozing black crud" remember these animals have a mouth that doubles as their "poop chute". So it could be a good possibility you are just seeing him deficate.
Most of the time, if this animal is going to die, it will detach from the rock and flip upside down in the substrate. They disintigrate pretty fast so you have to watch out. You will know if the animal is recovering, because that white that it is right now will go away, and it will start to turn brownish (most pure white anemones are in fact bleached from shipping/stress). I would be feeding it every couple days to see if you can turn it's health around a bit.
Good luck

olemiss

Looks like a sebae to me as well. Definitely not a "starter" anemone. They need a mature tank with stable parameters and high lighting. Hope you ordered halides. Most sebaes that I have seen in stores are already bleached or dyed, making survival that much harder. I'd try and exchange them for a gbta. If you are looking for a sebae, certain online sites have healthy ones-they will have a brown color.

fibinotchi

Longer photo period won't help at all, it is about light intensity and not length of time the light is on. Also dieing anemones release some bad stuff into the water. You will most likely end up with some problems from this and I would return them to the store asap if you can. Spank the gf.

speedballer

Halides are in the mail, glad I got that right. (50 gallon tank)
Will definitely see if I can return these guys, the l.f.s. has a zero return policy on invertebrates. Fish is 7 days.
Will the color change as it becomes "unbleached" or are they pretty much doomed from the start?
Thanks!

jubbin2001

If they survive, yes, the color will change as I mentioned before, back to a brownish color with the purpleish tips. If you feed them every couple days, it might help them recover as well. It's the best you can do for the time being. Depending on how long your tank has been setup will also have an effect. Most of the time if it is less that 6 months, the survival rate is even less. Anemones realy do need clean/stable water with that intense light.