differance in ballast

c_bell

What is the differance in ballast that are for sale in the aquarium trade verses the ones you can get at HD. I was at HD earlier today and I saw a Ballast the supports 2-96 watt t-12 light. I suppose if it safe, i could get 2 of these ballast and hook up a total of 4 (2 on each ballast) URI 110 watt URI vho bulbs. I would mount the ballast in a secure place away from water and salt creep. :confused: :confused: :confused: would this work ???

pbuck

They are somewhat similar, given that some ballasts are better than others. Ballasts pretty much come from the same sources, it is just the bulbs that you attach to the other end that are a different story. Given that there are a number of different manufacturers and types of ballasts, as long as you get the right ballast (wattage) for the right bulb you will be alright.

c_bell

Yeah that makes since....I have'nt seen any ballast at the hardware store that put out 110 watts on each bulb just 96 wts on each, im going back later today to look. Can I power a 2 x96 ballast for 2 110 watt bulbs???

pbuck

I am not too sure about running it like that. Lets say you wanted to buy a MH light fixture and ballast at the hardware store. You would just need to get the proper bulb elsewhere.