Difference between a sump and refugium???

jelezoglo

I know this probably sound stupid but I have no idea of what is a sump and a refugium. I know they are not displays, but I wanted to know the use for both.....

B

bmwaaron

Ok the big diffrence is a Sump is a place under your main tank with the purpose of placing
items like your Pumps, heaters, Skimmer and stuff like that to keep it out of view of the main display.
A refugium is a "refuge" for Copepods and such to bread and multiply without predation. Also it usually has some type of Macro algee to remove nutreients from the water.
Some people have sumps that have a refugium built in but IMO there is to much water flow through a sump for a proper refugium setup.

stanlalee

Originally Posted by Jelezoglo
that makes sense.......do you actually have any livestock on a refugium???? rock, sand???
you can do it anyway you want. its simply a refuge from the main display tanks livestock or predetors. If something is or will be beat up or eaten it can be placed in the refugium. You pretty much need sand, rocks or plants otherwise wont grow many critters (pods and such) and any fish or crustascean you put in there for refuge would probably like some sand and rocks. Sumps are under the tank, a refugium doesn't have to be. A sump can be a refugium, equipment holder or anything you want it to be (nothing but water) as long as its plumbed into the tank and under the tank.

ktbug

so you would use a sump to put the equipment(such as heater, filter, etc.) in instead of actually in the viewing tank?
katie

travis89

Originally Posted by ktbug
so you would use a sump to put the equipment(such as heater, filter, etc.) in instead of actually in the viewing tank?
katie
Yes.

ktbug

awesome! I'm actually starting to understand everything now!
thanks for your help!
katie

nimo1969

make sump/refuge with on side protant skimmer and stuff and other side put live sand ,live rock and return pump
hope it helps