difference

ecook

The difference is that they are a separate species.
Visually speaking, in most cases true perculas have wider black margins as well as a clear eye ring as opposed to the ocellaris' "muddy" eye ring.
They can be mated and produce viable offspring.

barry cuda

FWIW, "false perculas" are Amphiprion ocellaris. I kinda wish otherwise solid distributors like SWF wouldn't keep referring to ocellaris clowns as "perculas," whether false or any other kind. It just furthers the confusion.

viper_930

Another difference between the two is that true perculas have 10 dorsal spines while ocellaris clowns have 11 dorsal spines.

mr. tuna

i have had this pair for about 4-5 months, and they
are awsome. The pic shown below is an old pic, but now the female looks like she has eggs in her belly. The clown on top
is the percula, and the one on the bottom is the true percula.
( in you notice, there is much more black on the true perc.)

T

thomas712

Amphiprion ocellaris
Dorsal spines (total): 10-11; Dorsal soft rays (total): 13-17; Anal spines: 2-2; Anal soft rays: 11-13. Easily identified by the orange color and three white bands, the middle one widening forward to the head centrally. Caudal fin rounded.
Amphiprion percula
Dorsal spines (total): 9-10; Dorsal soft rays (total): 14-17; Anal spines: 2-2; Anal soft rays: 11-13. Overall orange with three black-bordered vertical white bands. The fins also orange with black edges. The black on the percula is more noticeable being thicker bands most of the time on the common colored species

tsname

When I first bought my clown, it was labeled as an Ocelaris. But I'm not too sure if it is or not, since the descriptions and pictures of seen of Percs and Oc's look almost the same and not like my clownfish.
What beats me, is that none of her stripes are touching. The head stripe doesn't wrap all the way around, though most clowns are like that as well. The middle stripe does not bulge toward the head, but the stripe tends to offset, and it looks like she's wearing a butterfly bandage where the ends aren't touching each other. The tail stripe doesn't touch either, it goes all the way around, but stops short. This is one reason why we bought her, cuz her stripes were so different. She is a dark orange with somewhat thick borders around her fins... Maybe a picture will help? lol...
If I can get a positive ID, can I mix a Perc or False Perc or either one in my tank? I've had Summer (my clownfish) for a long long time, I think close to 2 years... she's about 3" long already.

bang guy

Hi :)
Well, Percula rarely get past 2.5" so that leads me to believe you have an Ocellaris.
The stripes not going all the way around is an indication of poor nutrition when the fish was very young. Most breeders will destroy "mis-barred" Clownfish but they can make great pets :)

tsname

I didn't know that was the reason why the stripes didn't touch.. that sucks... hopefully I can keep Summer well nourished... as for a second clown, would it be ok to introduce another Perc without them fighting too much?
*Edit* Upon further review, I don't think Summer is much longer than 2.5", so maybe she's just a Perc. I've had her for a long time, so she's probably adult sized now...