different colored coralline

Does anyone have any pictures of different colored coralline growing within there own tank? Reason I am asking is because I think I am growing some lime greenish Coralline I have been trying to snap some photos of it but its pretty tough to get it... I did searches and google and I am pretty possitive its Coralline. But I would like to see all of yours :)

aquaknight

Definitely possible. I have lots of green in my 125 along with pink/purple. Mostly on the glass. The pink/purple is contained to mostly the Wave2k.
Coralline algae comes in a number of different colors, and are dependant on lighting and calcium levels....you can get greens, pinks, purples, reds, and browns.

I think that is so cool!!! I just want to make sure its something thats good! its growing really slow along with my purple coralline and I am pretty confident both are coralline only because it didnt start to grow until I added some Live rock that already had Coralline on it... I am going to try and get pictures... just have to figure out how lol

R

rcreations

It most definitely grows on base rock as long as you have another LR with coraline to seed it.

oh ok I am 100% confident about the coralline growth then... I was curious because i started with all base rock... and nothing just plain... I bought some figi rock from a friend and it had some coralline on it and it started to grow on this one rock... I was disapointed lol. I then noticed a lime green growth on a few points of my rock and it seem to match what i found on google :)... Just curious how long does coralline take to grow to the thick color and cover a rock?

R

rcreations

You need good flow and calcium above 400 for good coraline and it'll grow fast.

nano reefer

i dont have pics (see if you can find my tank diary thread). i have more coralline in my 14g than most people have in their 55's. its a serious problem. i am scraping it off every week. i have a bunch of shades of purple and pink, red, and green. the green is either dark forest green, or almost neon in color.

holy geeze it grows that fast??? then I am really disapointed with mine then its been slow slow slow slow lol. ill deff get that calcium up!

Originally Posted by Nano Reefer
http:///forum/post/2671084
i dont have pics (see if you can find my tank diary thread). i have more coralline in my 14g than most people have in their 55's. its a serious problem. i am scraping it off every week. i have a bunch of shades of purple and pink, red, and green. the green is either dark forest green, or almost neon in color.
I could be joking but it depends on what you say! could you scrape off your coralline and send it to me in a baggy and ill dump it in my tank and BAM (batman style) haha I dont know if I am kidding or not lol. 15 hour work day got the best of me just tired!

mr_x

Originally Posted by KevinTheShrimp
http:///forum/post/2671351
I could be joking but it depends on what you say! could you scrape off your coralline and send it to me in a baggy and ill dump it in my tank and BAM (batman style) haha I dont know if I am kidding or not lol. 15 hour work day got the best of me just tired!
your right actually. if your calcium and Alk are good, and you introduce some coralline scrapings from someone's tank, it will start to grow in yours.

Originally Posted by Mr_X
http:///forum/post/2671369
your right actually. if your calcium and Alk are good, and you introduce some coralline scrapings from someone's tank, it will start to grow in yours.
ANYONE want to send me coralline scrapings from there tank haha? ill pay shipping WOOT!

aquaknight

A decent LFS should get you some. Especially if they have any reef displays up, they'll have to clean the glass regularly.

paintballer768

I have purple coralline everywhere, but I have lime green growing on the back wall, but only on 1 side of the tank. Its much more slow growing than the purple in my tank. I also have a red plating algae that resembles coralline which is very pretty.

demartini

my 8 gallon has red and a lot of different shades of purple... In my 12 gallon I used to have a rock that had the most beautiful blueish/greenish coraline, but i covered it in coral.