different leds

d-man

From what I can tell most people are using fewer, higher wattage leds for their lights than more lower wattage leds. I was wondering if there are any reasons other than getting more power in less space and wiring time. I was also wondering what people think about using a breadboard for a light base. From what I can tell with this method I may be able to create a fairly powerful led light for a bit cheaper than I see other people quoting.

wangotango

Lower power LEDs simply don't have the juice to reach the bottom of a tank. That being said, most people aren't running their LEDs at full power either.
The LEDs are going to get very hot, and that heat needs to be removed. An aluminum heat sink is the only real way to do that.

2quills

Agreed...the higher powered 3 watt LED's put out far more lumens per watt. Even being run at 1/3rd of their full power they will still penetrate far better than the typical 1 watt LED's. Optics are always an option as well to help get some better penetration.
The LED's have to be mounted to a heatsink. And you need to use the thermal paste or thermal epoxy inbetween the LED's and the heatsink. Otherwise, like mentioned above the LED's will get too hot and burn themselves out.

d-man

If these are the only problems that I'm going to have to deal with, it's going to be pretty sweet!

cidly37

Led aquarium lights are very good,The led aquarium light can help coral and
Grasses grow,it also can makes your aquarium looks beautiful.
Cidly’s grow light are very good and cheap.