different types of algae. Good, bad?

Wisehart

I have noticed a little algae here and there and watched it grow. I'm sure most of this is fine but being new to saltwater I just want to be sure. I went on vacation for 4 days and had someone feed the fish while gone. It seems the algae has flourished in that time.
What types of algae are these? Hope the pictures help. I have a deep purple, a bright green, and a rust brownish color.

flower

Hello, Welcome to the site!

If the green just started developing while you were away, and slimy to the touch...it is most likely is the start of hair algae. = BAD
The purple on the rock if it developed while you were away, and is slimy to the touch, is most likely Cyanobacteria, not an algae at all. = BAD

If the algae came on the rock, or is hard and crusty it is most likely Coralline algae... = GOOD
Coralline comes in a variety of colors, the yellow turns green, the pink turns purple, the orange will turn red. It's a hard as rock algae, and won't scrape off easy with your nail. It also takes time to develop, and usually starts in a spot and spreads from there, having it all over all at once is a sign it isn't coralline.

The solution is water changes ... If you use tap water, and not RO (reverse osmosis) for your salt mix, the bad types of algae will go crazy growing. Tap water just creates nightmare algae problems. I see this is a reef, so you should have test kits, test Nitrates and Phosphates, the bad algae needs that to feed on and grow. Keeping those as near to 0 as possible, will prevent bad/nuisance algae growth.

Wisehart

Yes all of the colors are slimy to the touch or flake away with the touch of my finger.

The person I bought the rock from said tap water was fine if treated. So I guess I'll be going out soon to get a ro system.

It has spread slowly in the last 3 or 4 weeks. Just seems it really got out of control while away. Maybe just more noticeable after being away so long.

Thank you for the wisdom I will definitely stop using tap.

flower

Yes all of the colors are slimy to the touch or flake away with the touch of my finger.

The person I bought the rock from said tap water was fine if treated. So I guess I'll be going out soon to get a ro system.

It has spread slowly in the last 3 or 4 weeks. Just seems it really got out of control while away. Maybe just more noticeable after being away so long.

Thank you for the wisdom I will definitely stop using tap.
The algae is new, water changes will prevent it from getting worse. I don't know where you are from, but Walmart or any large grocery store sells RO water at the refill station, it isn't as good as having your own unit, but it is heads and shoulders above and better then tap water. 37 cents a gallon at Walmart by me here in Illinois. Those 5g jugs are golden.

Wisehart

Thanks I will check my nearest walmart next time I am in town. I live in the country and go to town as little as possible. I know for sure the grocery store about 30 miles east has that machine.

Kristin1234

Thanks I will check my nearest walmart next time I am in town. I live in the country and go to town as little as possible. I know for sure the grocery store about 30 miles east has that machine.
I see your profile says Texas. Where in Texas? I'm in Texas too and live way out in the country and don't have a wal Mart either.

Kristin1234

You ever go to the Fish Bowl? I'm assuming so since that's the only place that sells salties that I have found unless you go into Waco.

Kristin1234

Waco is closer to me. And if you wanna go somewhere reallllllllyyyyy super awesome. Go to Fort Worth. Off of Western Center Blvd there is a place called Fish22morrow. Best place I have ben by far. Totally worth the haul there.

Well hey neighbor!!

Wisehart

I may check that out one day. Just went through ft.worth yesterday. Was in a bit of a hurry. I strongly dislike that city. Lol