differentiating between lympocysts & ich

i love fish

My emperor angel developed lots of spots over the body and fins and i wasn't able to tell if it was ich, or lyphocysts. The fish developed these symptoms about 1 week in the QT after I had removed it from the DT(for bad behaviour towards a new tankmate).
I immediately assumed the worse (ich ofcourse), so performed hypo on the fish.
The really wierd thing is that first a blotch would appear there and then by the end of the day it would develop into a white spot, afew days later the spot would fall off leaving just the blotch, which would then fade away afew days later.
These spots and blotches continued to develop, fall off and redevelop elsewhere for about 3 or 4 weeks (during which the fish was in hypo).
Finally they are all gone except there is alittle 'cloudy' appearance to the pectoral fins of the fish which don't look like spots or blotches, but it's now been about 6 weeks and they just seem to be shrinking in size.
Do you think it was ich? The fish is still in hypo (about 6 weeks now), should I bring the SG up now,or do I need to wait until those cloudy bits on the pectoral fin fade?
Oh, yeh, the QT is cycled all perametres fine, it's bare bottom with some rockwork. it's approx. 10g and the emperor is still a juvinile.
any advise appreciated.

sepulatian

It sounds like ich. Lyphocystis is a viral infection. The spots would not fall off and come back. The spot would decrease in size. He may have gotten a secondary infection due to the parasites feeding on him and leaving an open wound, tiny but open.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
What are you using to measure salinity in hypo? The treatment should be complete by now.

i love fish

I'm using a refractometer and hydrometer. It finally cleared up and the emperor was in hypo for maybe about 8 weeks in total.
I began to bring the SG up over the course of a week, taking it up by 0.001 to 0.002 per day then about 10 days after I got the SG up to normal levels the emperor came down with ich again.
WATZ going on?