Diffrent color Coralline growth, what does it mean?

I was just wondering if diffrent water conditions are better suited to growing diffrent color of coralline?
I have all diffent colors in my tank Velvet red, dark green, lime green, purple and a little pink.
I have the dark green and lime green and velvet red growing better than the purple or pink. Is this due to my water chem?
The tank is only a 23G with A 65w 50/50 pc bulb. My water is good the only thing out of the norm is my Nitrates, around 7-8. My CA is always around 430-460
So what causes one color to grow better than another?

Thanks everyone.

loopy101

hmmm good questions i am gonna follow along to seewhat the others have to say!! i have lots of different colors in my tank to and its interesting the stuff seems to grow very fast in my tank! which i am assuming is a good thing??

Originally Posted by loopy101
http:///forum/post/2658070
hmmm good questions i am gonna follow along to seewhat the others have to say!! i have lots of different colors in my tank to and its interesting the stuff seems to grow very fast in my tank! which i am assuming is a good thing??
Yup, its a good thing, helps keep the bad stuff from growing on the rocks, plus its nice to look at.
Iam sure lighting has somthing to do with it, Iam guessing MH lighting would produce more pink colors, but iam not sure thats why iam here

aztec reef

Its the type of species... coraline has 5 genera and about 10 species, that range in color, crust thickness, cell dimensions, and reproductive structures....lighting spectrum has no significance to color.. Although different light spectrums and different kelvin rating may indeed make coraline appear a diferent color than usual.

disgraced

Originally Posted by Aztec Reef
http:///forum/post/2659099
lighting spectrum has no significance to color..
I disagree, there is a reason that almost all aquariums have purple coraline. Anything dependent on photosynthesis has a preference as to the amount of light....from coral zooxan to basic algae. My opinion anyway.