Digital Timer

larryndana

I found what I first thought to be great timers. But have come to find out that they crap out after a while.
Whats a good kind of timer?

earlybird

Originally Posted by larryndana
I found what I first thought to be great timers. But have come to find out that they crap out after a while.
Whats a good kind of timer?
Honestly, my digitals crap out every now and then. When I get my Xmas box out of storage I'm going to swap out my digital timers for the old fashioned clicker spin type that I had on my Xmas tree. I don't see how those can fail. I'm realizing that when I began I should have KISS... kept it simple stupid.

nycbob

i never trust digital timer. i use the mechanical one from coral life. its easy, set the time and press down on each 15 minute interval button, and ur done.

oneradtek

even my clicker-style timer kinda pooped out on me, it gets stuck at a time and then get like an hour or 2 off

alix2.0

ive had spin clickers on all my tanks for the last 3 years and none of them have

[hr]
up yet.

anyways even if they do theyre cheap and easy to reset, so id just go with that.

ifirefight

I use digital timers rated for outdoor use. They can be found at your local home improvement store. They are designed to turn on and off outdoor lights...and designed to be weather resistant. IMO they are better suited for SW aquariums than are "regular" digital timer. I believe I paid 30 dollars for the one I have.

mojo46825

I bought my digital timer nad its worked fine for me. I have had it about 8 months. Mine is not hte coralife one. It another brand that looks about the same. So far so good.

ghiggi

I have my system setup on X-10 home automation modules and run everything from the computer. I can adjust times on everything from one place and not have to crawl under the tank to get to the timers. I use the appliance modules for all of the lights and pumps.

dogstar

Ive been useing the same clicker/spin type " Intermatic HeavyDuty " ( 3x 220v and 3x 120v ) for 5 years and none have failed...Im knocking on wood now......now my local power company, aaarrggg.

jkcrumb

Originally Posted by ghiggi
I have my system setup on X-10 home automation modules and run everything from the computer. I can adjust times on everything from one place and not have to crawl under the tank to get to the timers. I use the appliance modules for all of the lights and pumps.
aww man.........thats awsome...........how much does something like that go for???????

ghiggi

Originally Posted by jkcrumb
aww man.........thats awsome...........how much does something like that go for???????
There are only a few items you will need:
a computer control interface, the CK18A wireless controller (< $20) or the CM11A wired controller (< $10). The controller allows the computer to control the different lamp and appliance modules.
a lamp or appliance module for each set of lights or pump you wish to run. The lamp module (LM465 < $7) is a 2 prong plug module good for use with NO flouresent lights. The appliance module (AM466 < $8) is a three prong plug suitable for running VHO, PC, T5 and MH lights and all pumps.
the software (ActiveHome v1.42) can be downloaded free here
So to setup and control, say, just your MH and VHO lighting, you could be up and running for about $25 + shipping.
Mine runs my MH and PC lighting, my fans (on 5 minutes before lights on and off 15 minutes after lights out) and my return pump (off 2 minutes before the autofeeder feeds and on 10 minutes after feeding)

ameno

a computer control interface, the CK18A wireless controller (< $20) or the CM11A wired controller (< $10). The controller allows the computer to control the different lamp and appliance modules.
a lamp or appliance module for each set of lights or pump you wish to run. The lamp module (LM465 < $7) is a 2 prong plug module good for use with NO flouresent lights. The appliance module (AM466 < $8) is a three prong plug suitable for running VHO, PC, T5 and MH lights and all pumps.
So to setup and control, say, just your MH and VHO lighting, you could be up and running for about $25 + shipping.
Mine runs my MH and PC lighting, my fans (on 5 minutes before lights on and off 15 minutes after lights out) and my return pump (off 2 minutes before the autofeeder feeds and on 10 minutes after feeding)
wow, I like this idea, gona have to check this out

jpc763

http:///forum/post/2347557
I love X-10 and use it to power much of my house. I have always had difficulty with flourescent lights and read on their message boards that X-10 will not control flourscents. You are controlling Power Compacts right? I have T-5 lighting. Do you think X-10 will work? Another note is that the CM11A has all kinds of problems running on computers with XP on them. I had to replace mine with the much improved CM15A which includes SW, but costs about $50.

ikemeyer

what timer did you buy that crapped out?
The dual mechanical one from coral life has worked great for me so far since I purchased it 6 months ago.