DILEMMA - LEAKING REFUGIUM - OPINIONS PLEASE

lazarus

The setup is over 6 years old. The refugium is glass, made by Catalina, with 3 compartments for sump, biomaterial, and return pump. I put a pad underneath it when I originally installed it. The pad is very moist and I can see the laminate underneath (the bottom of the unit), is so wet that it is delaminating.
I dont know if the refugium itself is leaking or if the source is somewhere else, but its so tight in there that I think the only option is to drain the whole thing and get it out to assess the situation. If I do that, I might as well buy a new refugium and start fresh - i dont think it was that expensive. If I do that however, I will disturb the whole ecosystem living and thriving in there....will it survive? Are there better options?
Once I get the setup out of the cavity I wont have alot of time to mess with it - and I dont know if I'll ever find the source of the leak.
HELP! I need opinions!

flower

I would redo it...to leave it would rot the wood in the stand....a bad development since that supports the DT and once it's wet it has to dry out. The critters in the sump will survive...put the water and rock..macros or whatever you have in there into a tub with an airline or power head.

A

abeandlulu

I vote for the redo. If you have an established tank it will not take long for the fuge to replenish itself.

btldreef

I'd redo it as well. Your tank should be established enough that the removal of the current refugium and the addition of a new one (or this one fixed) shouldn't upset the balance of things too much.

snakeblitz33

This might be an opportunity to get a sump that actually fits under your tank... so that you can have better access to it and install better equipment.
I also vote for pulling it out and starting fresh.