Dimmer for IceCap 660

scooby1350

Does anyone know how to make a dimmer for an Icecap 660 ballast? I know I can buy a Solar dimmer for $150, but hoping to make a cheap manual Dimmer.
Any help would be great thanks.

scsinet

I totally want to know how to do this as well.
From what I understand, it's a 0-10v control signal; each 0.1v increment represents 1% of output brightness.
I could easily build a controller that does this, but what I don't know and can't find is the pinout of the dimming port on it.
If anyone has a good relationship with Andy or someone over at Icecap... maybe they can call and get one, or even better, a schematic for the whole thing.
Needless to say, building your own dimmer will void your warranty.

scooby1350

That what I am trying to find out is the pin out. I know that I could easily build one for a fraction of the price that I can by one for. I just want the dimmer, so I can run my ballast at 50% power for right now. I think two 110watt lights for a 55 gallon is a little too much power.

wattsupdoc

Here's one. I didnt search alot, but this one is along the lines of what you're looking for. It'll dim up to 60 ballasts though, you only need to dim one. This will maybe put you along the track of what you're looking for. Price may be a chunk on this particular dimmer.
Mods this is in no way a cometitor of you'rs. Dimmer and switch manufacturer here. Please allow(forgive me if I'm not abiding here).
http://www.lutron.com/instructions/037086.pdf
Click

acrylic51

The ballasts are suppose to go back to IceCap to have something adjusted internally to be dimmable, and had inquired about that and from what I gathered not really worth it.......Solar system is your safest bet, because if something were to happen to your ballast due to improper use, you'll probably void the warranty.

scsinet

Originally Posted by wattsupdoc
Here's one. I didnt search alot, but this one is along the lines of what you're looking for. It'll dim up to 60 ballasts though, you only need to dim one. This will maybe put you along the track of what you're looking for. Price may be a chunk on this particular dimmer.
Mods this is in no way a cometitor of you'rs. Dimmer and switch manufacturer here. Please allow(forgive me if I'm not abiding here).
http://www.lutron.com/instructions/037086.pdf
Click
Thanks for the tips

Getting the 0-10v is not so much of a problem as is figuring out how to tie it into the that ballast.
Acrylic,
Void shmoid. I can drill a rivot out!!! I'm at this point almost willing to risk it on one of my icecaps to find out how to do it. I build a microcontroller based lighting controller for my tanks, and I built in support for it but I just can't tie into the dimming functions.
How frustrating is that!

wattsupdoc

Dimmiable ballasts supply the 0-10v power for the dimmers. Theres are only 2 wires involved in the dimming process. The hot from the ballast to dimmer, and the control back to the ballast from dimmer. Commercially avaulabe ballasts have two pin connections in the housing to attach to. Find these connections inside you icecap and wallah, there it is. I'd open it up and see if there's any way to tell.

scsinet

Yeah that's the trouble. The icecap dimmers have a 4 pin connector for the purpose.
I'm sure if I opened it up I could figure it out, but it's just what Acrylic said... the warranty is voided.

scooby1350

I just wish Icecap would post the Wiring Diagram for the I/O port, but they probably are the company that makes the dimmers.

acrylic51

Yep your handy dandy work could be your own demise somewhere down the road.....If they see the ballast has been opened and altered in any way you'll be buying a new one.....Or paying full cost for the repairs....

scooby1350

That is the least of my worries, with the money I will save in electricity I can buy a new ballast every year :) But if I can get it to work I won't need to worry about that.

scsinet

Well if you can afford to replace them, then perhaps you just volunteered! Open that sucker up, and post a wiring diagram!!!

scooby1350

I was hoping someone had a broke one they could look at, but I am working right now at figuring out what each wire does.

acrylic51

From what I had gathered from Andy @ IceCap he didn't sound to thrilled with the dimmable mod being done to the ballasts......The way he sounded it seemed they were the ballasts they see back more often than others.......

B

bmwaaron

So has anyone got a pin out for the 4 pin Icecap 660 ballast yet? I want to use the Profilux controller but I cant get a straight answer from Icecap on which pin is which on there ballast.

scsinet

They probably won't give you a straight answer. I was also never able to get one. I believe the only controller that is supported is the Solar controller, which is made by Icecap, so it's more or less a proprietary system.
I've more or less given up.... but if you find the info, post it here please!