Dimmer on powerhead

dinki

I've got a Sure Flow modded MJ1200 powerhead in my 55 gal. It can really churn some water. So much so that I'd like to tone it down a bit. Does anyone know if the motor in the powerhead is AC or DC? I'm thinking of adding an inline dimmer switch to slow the motor down in the hopes that it will lessen the GPH. Will this work or am I going to

[hr]
up my PH?

scsinet

The powerhead runs on AC.
A dimmer will not work. Dimmer switches are designed to dim resistive loads... like light bulbs, not inductive loads, which are what motors are.
Using a dimmer will probably not hurt the powerhead, but it won't work well if at all. The reason for this is that this type of motor's speed is dependant on two things... A) the design of the motor (whcih you can't change obviously), and B) the frequency (not voltage) of the power supply.
What you would need to really do this is something called a VFD, or Variable Frequency Drive. These are found in the industrial world, to control the speed of machinery. They are crazy expensive, and usually very large, though they do make them for smaller motors.
An alternative that I might say is worth a shot is the speed control that is specifically designed for ceiling fans. These units usually have 4 or so speeds, as opposed to a variable control. It may work, though I've never tried it. They use capacitors to change the power factor, which works better on motors than what a dimmer switch does. Be sure to get one that is designed for ceiling fans, and not an ordinary dimmer.
Lemme know how it works if you try it.

dinki

Thanks for saving me the trouble of trying this. Too bad it wouldn't work. I had an idea of using an X10 lamp module and was going to randomize the power level to the PH to give varying flow. That's out the window :)
I'm intrigued about the ceiling fan speed control, but I doubt I'll try it. I'll probably just buy a smaller PH to reduce my flow. Or perhaps I'll just keep trying to reposition the PH. I think I may have it in a decent spot now. That mod definitely works, but I'm thinking it's more power than I need in my 55 at the moment.

wattsupdoc

IMO, neither of those would work. Powerheads only have one set of windings,poles or field, whatever you want to call it. Whereas fan motors have several poles. Changing the frequency is the only way to effectively control the speed of a powerhead. The fan control is worth a shot, but not going to work long term IMO.

vampofvegas

Running something under its intended voltage will ruin it over due time.
Buy a smaller power head and sell your current one.. or point it at one of the sides of the aquarium.