Dirty Tank - Help

skitzo7170

I recently was given a bowed front 46 gal tank with tonga branch live rock one yellow tang about 4-5 inches two maroon clown fish (one is 4" and the other is 3"). When I picked it up, it was really dirty. Can I clean the tank's equipment and glass without having a major shock to my fish or tank? I did purchase two turbo snails and three hermit crabs.

jay0705

You want the good news or bad news first? Lol start w the bad, the tank is way too small for a yellow tang. 75 gal is bare min for a yellow. Good news yes u can clean it. Now is it alage build up or is the water its self murky?

skitzo7170

Yes I figured it was too small for my tang. The water is not murky. It is actually clear. The live rocks, tonga branches and sand have algae along with the equipment. My turbo snails have started cleaning the tonga branches.

jay0705

Ok simple enough to fix. Get more snails, cerith, margaritas, astrea. Also some blue legged hermits and a emerald crab or 2. All will eat the algae

skitzo7170

This is my maroon clown fish.(large one) See how the live rocks and tonga branches have algae? Just wanted to share to give you a visual.

jay0705

Ok the purple is good alage, the green stuff snails should take care of. Emerald crabs are good to aswell. Its not too bad u just need a good cuc

silverado61

I'm still researching that myself. I'm in the middle of a 72g stand build and I haven't gotten to that point quite yet. I do know that anything larger than a dwarf angel is too large to thrive. In my size tank anyway.

silverado61

Getting a fish that's almost too big to fit well, to me, limits what you can do with your tank. I'd rather have a few smaller fish than one big fish by itself. Even a fish needs company.

silverado61

What brand and size is your skimmer? If we knew that, someone here might know exactly how to answer your question.

For one thing, your skimmers out of adjustment. The collection cup (on top) shouldn't be that full and the liquid shouldn't be that clear.

Did you buy it new and did you follow the directions for setting it up? How long have you been using it?

It looks like it needs to be taken apart, cleaned, and start over again.

skitzo7170

I got it as it is. Everything was already established and put together. I looked for a brand so I could let google how to take it apart. There is no name. 2Quills i looked on the link and it gave me a server error for the link. Thank you anyways.